Re: [EKSouth] Catapault Death

  • Ruth Harton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
      Is there a news site we can go to? I had missed that report.
      Peace
      Danae
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
        > On NBC news it was reported that a group in England has been testing out
        various versions of catapults. One man died and charges are being pressed.

        Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a catapult
        for a Darwin Award?

        Laurensa

        > Lady Mariota de la Moor
        > Iron Bog
        >
        > House of Sirens Rock

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeffrey Blaisdell
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
          This is not the first time such has happened. Last time it was a trebuchet,
          guy missed the net. Is life in England so dull that one wishes to experience
          the same thrill a rock does when thrown by a siege engine?

          Geoffrey of Bleasdale

          > On NBC news it was reported that a group in England has been testing out
          various versions of catapults. One man died and charges are being pressed.

          > Lady Mariota de la Moor
          > Iron Bog
          >
          > House of Sirens Rock

        • Robin Carroll-Mann
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
            Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a catapult
            for a Darwin Award?

            Laurensa
            ------------------------------

            As I understand it, to win a Darwin Award, you have to remove yourself from the gene pool in a spectacularly stupid way. Merely engaging in risky sports doesn't qualify. Mountain-climbing would not count; deliberately skiing on a trail marked "closed -- avalanche danger" *would* count. One recent winner was a fellow who was rinsing out a gasoline tanker, and lit a match to see how high the water level was.

            The official website is at:
            www.darwinawards.com

            Brighid ni Chiarain
          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
              > Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a
              catapult
              > for a Darwin Award?
              >
              > Laurensa
              > ------------------------------
              >
              > As I understand it, to win a Darwin Award, you have to remove yourself
              from the gene pool in a spectacularly stupid way. Merely engaging in risky
              sports doesn't qualify. Mountain-climbing would not count; deliberately
              skiing on a trail marked "closed -- avalanche danger" *would* count. One
              recent winner was a fellow who was rinsing out a gasoline tanker, and lit a
              match to see how high the water level was.<<

              I dunno...I think allowing yourself to be catapulted is spectacularly
              stupid!

              Laurensa
            • Robin Carroll-Mann
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 18, 2004
                  In a message dated 1/17/2004 8:31:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  goofy1@... writes:

                  <<Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a catapult
                  for a Darwin Award?>>

                  If this is the case of a group who were flinging people from the catapult to
                  a net, and a male college student who missed the net, it's already been
                  nominated, and disqualified. The disqualification is due to the fact that, since a
                  number of people had already been safely tossed that day, the person who was
                  killed had a reasonable expectation that he, too, would land safely, and was
                  therefore not engaging in something which he should have known better than to
                  try. (Same theory as the person who dies while rapelling down a cliff or scuba
                  diving under ice; lots of people have done it safely, this one just had bad
                  luck.)Now, if the FIRST person to climb into the thing had been killed, that
                  would probably have passed muster.

                  Brangwayna Morgan