Catapault Death

  • Lady Mariota
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
      On NBC news it was reported that a group in England has been testing out various versions of catapults. One man died and charges are being pressed.

      Lady Mariota de la Moor
      Iron Bog

      House of Sirens Rock

    • Ruth Harton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
        Is there a news site we can go to? I had missed that report.
        Peace
        Danae
        On NBC news it was reported that a group in England has been testing out various versions of catapults. One man died and charges are being pressed.

        Lady Mariota de la Moor
        Iron Bog

        House of Sirens Rock

      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
          > On NBC news it was reported that a group in England has been testing out
          various versions of catapults. One man died and charges are being pressed.

          Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a catapult
          for a Darwin Award?

          Laurensa

          > Lady Mariota de la Moor
          > Iron Bog
          >
          > House of Sirens Rock

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jeffrey Blaisdell
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
            This is not the first time such has happened. Last time it was a trebuchet,
            guy missed the net. Is life in England so dull that one wishes to experience
            the same thrill a rock does when thrown by a siege engine?

            Geoffrey of Bleasdale

            > On NBC news it was reported that a group in England has been testing out
            various versions of catapults. One man died and charges are being pressed.

            > Lady Mariota de la Moor
            > Iron Bog
            >
            > House of Sirens Rock

          • Robin Carroll-Mann
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
              Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a catapult
              for a Darwin Award?

              Laurensa
              ------------------------------

              As I understand it, to win a Darwin Award, you have to remove yourself from the gene pool in a spectacularly stupid way. Merely engaging in risky sports doesn't qualify. Mountain-climbing would not count; deliberately skiing on a trail marked "closed -- avalanche danger" *would* count. One recent winner was a fellow who was rinsing out a gasoline tanker, and lit a match to see how high the water level was.

              The official website is at:
              www.darwinawards.com

              Brighid ni Chiarain
            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
                > Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a
                catapult
                > for a Darwin Award?
                >
                > Laurensa
                > ------------------------------
                >
                > As I understand it, to win a Darwin Award, you have to remove yourself
                from the gene pool in a spectacularly stupid way. Merely engaging in risky
                sports doesn't qualify. Mountain-climbing would not count; deliberately
                skiing on a trail marked "closed -- avalanche danger" *would* count. One
                recent winner was a fellow who was rinsing out a gasoline tanker, and lit a
                match to see how high the water level was.<<

                I dunno...I think allowing yourself to be catapulted is spectacularly
                stupid!

                Laurensa
              • Robin Carroll-Mann
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 17, 2004
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 18, 2004
                    In a message dated 1/17/2004 8:31:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    goofy1@... writes:

                    <<Does anyone else want to nominate anyone who willing climbs into a catapult
                    for a Darwin Award?>>

                    If this is the case of a group who were flinging people from the catapult to
                    a net, and a male college student who missed the net, it's already been
                    nominated, and disqualified. The disqualification is due to the fact that, since a
                    number of people had already been safely tossed that day, the person who was
                    killed had a reasonable expectation that he, too, would land safely, and was
                    therefore not engaging in something which he should have known better than to
                    try. (Same theory as the person who dies while rapelling down a cliff or scuba
                    diving under ice; lots of people have done it safely, this one just had bad
                    luck.)Now, if the FIRST person to climb into the thing had been killed, that
                    would probably have passed muster.

                    Brangwayna Morgan