Medieval Africa

  • Lis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      Greetings everyone!

      This week's Links list is a bit short---only 9 links were found on my chosen
      subject matter. The reason it's a bit short is that there remains a great
      deal to be discovered or at least webbed on the subject of Medieval Africa.
      During our period of study, Africa--particularly North and West---was
      thriving with trade to the near East, and to Europe. A great deal of the
      world's GOLD supply came form Africa at the time. We know through viewing
      European artworks that African Persons were not strangers to Europe (so many
      show up in crowd scenes or as courtesans in paintings). And yet, due to more
      recent cultural biases, much of the history of Africa has remained a
      mystery, especially those of us with Europe-centric ways of viewing world
      history. While the subject matter for this Links List was hard to come by, I
      present you with what I could find, most of which seems to be good, solid
      work. Perhaps when we revisit the subject sometime down he road, we'll be
      able to find much more. It's a field of study ripe for some research, so if
      anyone out there is looking for something new to research, this would be a
      great challenge!

      As always, please share this Links List with those who will be interested in
      it.

      Cheers

      Aoife

      Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon
      Aethelmearc

      Splendor in Medieval Africa
      A visit to Mali's medieval past
      http://historymedren.about.com/library/weekly/aa022299.htm
      (Site Excerpt) According to tradition, Mali was suffering from a fearful
      drought when a visitor told the king, Mansa Barmandana, that the drought
      would break if he converted to Islam. This he did, and as predicted the
      drought did end. Other Mandinkans followed the king's lead and converted as
      well, but the mansa did not force a conversion, and many retained their
      Mandinkan beliefs. This religious freedom would remain throughout the
      centuries to come as Mali emerged as a powerful state.

      Kingdoms of Medieval Sudan
      http://webusers.xula.edu/jrotondo/Kingdoms/welcome.html
      (Site Excerpt) "Kingdoms of the Medieval Sudan" provides a narrative
      historical overview of Mali, Songhay, Kanem-Bornu, and Hausaland before the
      modern era, a hyperlinked glossary with pronunciation helps, and self-tests
      on the history of these regions.The text is also accompanied by the work of
      photographer Lucy Johnson.

      Medieval Sourcebook:
      Ibn Battuta: Travels in Asia and Africa 1325-1354
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1354-ibnbattuta.html
      (Site Excerpt) On reaching the city of Tilimsan [Tlemsen], whose sultan at
      that time was Abu Tashifin, I found there two ambassadors of the Sultan of
      Tunis, who left the city on the same day that I arrived. One of the brethren
      having advised me to accompany them, I consulted the will of God in this
      matter, and after a stay of three days in the city to procure all that I
      needed, I rode after them with all speed. I overtook them at the town of
      Miliana, where we stayed ten days, as both ambassadors fell sick on account
      of the summer heats. When we set out again, one of them grew worse, and died
      after we had stopped for three nights by a stream four miles from Miliana. I
      left their party there and pursued my journey, with a company of merchants
      from Tunis.

      A Medieval Atlas: Maps of Medieval Africa
      http://historymedren.about.com/library/atlas/blatafridex.htm
      A list of links to maps of Northern Africa, Europe, Arabia, and the Near
      East.

      Medieval Sourcebook:
      Procopius: The Reconquest of Africa, 534
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/procop-wars4-9.html
      (Site excerpt) Belisarius, upon reaching Byzantium with Gelimer [last king
      of the Vandals, captured by Belisarius in 534] and the Vandals, was counted
      worthy to receive such honours, as in former times were assigned to those
      generals of the Romans who had won the greatest and most noteworthy
      victories. And a period of about six hundred years had now passed since
      anyone had attained these honours, except, indeed, Titus and Trajan, and
      such other emperors as had led armies against some barbarian nation and had
      been victorious. For he displayed the spoils and slaves from the war in the
      midst of the city and led a procession which the Romans call a "triumph,"
      not, however, in the ancient manner, but going on foot from his own house to
      the hippodrome and then again from the barriers [the starting point for the
      racers at the open end of the Hippodrome] until he reached the place where
      the imperial throne is.

      African Civilizations
      http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/CIVAFRCA/CIVAFRCA.HTM
      (Site Excerpt) Axum remained a strong empire and trading power until the
      rise of Islam in the seventh century AD. However, because the Axumites had
      sheltered Muhammed's first followers, the Muslims never attempted to
      overthrow Axum as they spread across the face of Africa. Even though Axum no
      longer served as a center or hub of international trade, it nonetheless
      enjoyed good relations with all of its Muslim neighbors. Two Christian
      states north of Axum, Maqurra and Alwa, survived until the thirteenth
      century when they were finally forced by Muslim migration to become Islamic.
      Axum, however, remained untouched by the Islamic movements across Africa.
      Because of this, the Ethiopic (or Abyssinian) Church has lasted until the
      present day. It is still a Monophysite church and its scriptures and liturgy
      are still in Ge'ez

      Mali and Songhai
      http://www.learner.org/exhibits/collapse/mali.html
      (Site Excerpt) The empire of Mali, which dated from the early thirteenth
      century to the late fifteenth century, rose out of what was once the empire
      of Ghana. Mali had been a state inside of the Ghanaian empire. After Ghana
      fell because of invading forces and internal disputes, Mali rose to
      greatness under the leadership of a legendary king named Sundiata, the "Lion
      King." Later, another great leader named Mansa Musa extended the empire.
      After his death, however, his sons could not hold the empire together. The
      smaller states it had conquered broke off, and the empire crumbled.

      Medieval Africa 1250-1800 Roland Oliver, Anthony Atmore
      http://assets.cambridge.org/0521790247/sample/0521790247WS.PDF
      This 17 page paper ont he subject requires Acrobat Reader to access.

      Early Medieval North Africa
      http://www.ucl.ac.uk/history/courses/4171/week6.htm
      A bibliography

      Quotes of the Week:
      "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."--Tolkein

      In democracy it's your vote that counts; In feudalism it's
      your count that votes.

      Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis

      A plateau is a high form of flattery