Libraries - NJ and PA

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      First the good news:
      I know a lot of people who live in PA and aren't familiar with the Access
      PA system. This system allows you to check books out from any AccessPA
      system library (almost all public libraries, the state university system,
      and some private colleges) if you have a card from your local library with
      an AccessPA sticker. It also helps your local library order things for
      you via interlibrary loan from those same libraries, and supports a set of
      'unified' web catalogs for the libraries (by county/region), here:
      http://www.accesspa.state.pa.us/

      If you are from NJ, there's a good chance that your library is part of
      QandANJ, a system that lets you ask library questions over the internet
      via a web-based chat. The q&a nj site is: http://www.qandanj.org/

      Please, try these services out! If you aren't from one of these areas,
      check out your local libraries to see what cool services they have.

      NOW: the BAD NEWS!
      Both Pennsylvania and NJ libraries are facing serious funding cuts in
      State aid, which can make up to 40% or more of a library's budget.
      Please, just as someone who probably likes either finding things out
      and/or reading, consider contacting your state reps in support of
      libraries.

      "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by
      giving, by losing." -- Anais Nin