Possession is Knives-Tenth of the Law

  • Lew Wolkoff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      I knew that that stupid post about the gun law was going to get out of hand.

      Well, I may as well put in my two sense as well.

      Going from an apocryphal story of a local cop exceeding his authority to a
      plot by those evil liberals to deprive us of our right to carry knives and
      swords is just the sort of extreme scare tactic that the NRA has been using
      for years.

      It's all so much bovine fecal matter.

      So is the parts of the original rant that deal with guns, but then the NRA
      is currently opposing abill to require the same sort of background checks at
      gun shows that are required for sales at gun stores. SUch background checks
      at gun stores are creditted by law enforcement experts including the FBI
      with ahving prevented over 100,000 sales of guns to known offenders.

      Incidentally, as far as those alleged Pennsylvania laws go about knives and
      other cutting instruments go, does that mean that every stationary story in
      the state that sells the sort of office scissors with a four-inch blade that
      I have at my desk have to have a permit? How about the Sears that sold me
      my electric razor?

      On the subject of a local cop stopping a car with swords:

      A juggler was driving home from a performance, when he accidentally ran a
      red light.

      A cop pulled him over. While the cop was writing the ticket, he noticed
      that there were a set of four swords in the back seat. "What're those
      swords doing there," the cop asked rather belligerantly.

      "I'm a professional juggler, officer," the driver said. "As the highpoint
      of my act, I juggle those swords."

      "Yeah, right. Maybe I'll just take you in and let you try and convince a
      judge with that story."

      "Look, officer, before you take me in, please give me a chance to prove it."

      "Okay,' the cop said, stepping back from the car, "but the first sign of any
      funny stuff..."

      The man gets out of the car and takes the swords out of the back seat.
      While the cop stands about twenty feet away, his hand on his revolver, the
      man begins to juggle the swords.

      The man had been juggling the swords for a couple minutes, and the cop was
      pretty much convinced that he was telling the truth when another car passed
      by with two men in it. The car slowed for a moment to watch the juggler,
      then drove on.

      "Boy," said the passemger in the other car to the driver,"they got one tough
      sobriety test in this town."

      Eleazar