RE: [EKSouth] Digest Number 1159

  • Joe Irvine
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
      Clearly allowed in both cases - I suggest you re-read the laws - according
      to this section of the same PA law that you linked to:

      (b) Exception-It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove
      by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon
      solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that he possessed it
      briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or
      under circumstances similarly negating any intenet or likelihood that the
      weapon would be used unlawfully,

      the SCA can consider our weapons "curio"s and also in a "dramatic
      performance" - as this is what we do.

      NJ law - also from your link:

      Specifically illegal: gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk,
      stiletto, or ballistic knife "without any explainable lawful purpose" (i.e.
      an ill-defined exemption). Manufacturers and sellers are not exempt.

      Explainable purpose : knife collector

      You will find that all states will allow for the sale of knives/swords for
      collectors - so long as they are not carried on your person in public,
      especially concealed, unless in a container - ie sealed cardboard box,
      carrying case, etc. If you can reasonably explain that you are a knife
      collector, or even explain the SCA and what we do, you will have no trouble

      Yours in Service,

      Dierk zem Grauen Wolf

      Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:18:15 -0400
      From: Aleksandr called the Traveller <aleksandr@...>
      Subject: Your toys are not ithreatened - A relevant reply to an OT
      comment:Feinstein-Schumer Gun-Control Act

      Sometimes off-topic comments containing mistruths, distortions, and, in
      this case, outright misinformation and disinformation require careful
      correction to prevent our membership from beliving that *continuing* the
      current ban on certain assault rifles could affect the sporting equipment
      they use. A little fact-checking should put this aright...

      At 09:17 PM 5/18/2003, Marcus & Kaylyn mac Phàrlain wrote:
      >Slightly OT, but important. The Congress is resurrecting a proposed Ban on
      >Semi-Automatic weapons, and following my message is an e-Petition to stop
      >the drive.

      NO - the LAW passed with the support of then-former-President REAGAN was
      designed to run for a number of years and then "sunset" unless renewed. The
      current question is simply whether to continue a ban on a handful of
      weapons that has been in effect for about half a dozen years. The ban
      limits the number of military-type features, like flash surpressors, pistol
      grips, etc. that can be placed on a weapon classed as a "rifle" and bars
      extra-high capacity magazines.

      That is ALL it does.

      >They already limit the size of the blades we can legally carry in public.

      NO NO MORE BIG LIES!

      <<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>

    • Emil Stecher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
        --- ClanLaird <ClanLaird@...> wrote:

        > So there are "no" Federal Knife Laws? Although few,
        > read this and the
        > summary of State Laws that follow.

        What Aleksander said was:

        There are NO federal knife laws or bow laws, except
        when it comes to their possession on aircraft and
        other sensitive areas, their use in commission of a
        federal crime, and their use on federally owned land.
        All other
        weapons/dangerous objects laws are state or local.

        This seems to be borne out by your source
        > http://www.knifeart.com/knifeart/kniflawbysta.html

        which says:

        Ballistic knives (automatic blade throwers) are
        prohibited.
        Switchblades may not be transported/mailed across
        state lines unless the recipient intends to use it for
        military use.
        Possessing a knife in a federal facility is prohibited
        unless it is a pocket knife with blade under
        2.5".
        > http://www.knife.com/faqs/law21.asp
        >
        > Strangely enough, how do they sell blades at
        > Pennsic? Pennsylvania Law seems
        > clear.

        Please read section (c) of the statute cited in this
        source *carefully*

        (c) Definition-As used in this section "offensive
        weapon" means any dagger, knife, razor or cutting
        instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an
        automatic way by switch, push-button, spring
        mechanism, or otherwise.

        In other words, the law cited by your source applies
        only to switchblades and gravity knives.

        While we are correcting errors of fact, Kestrel wrote:

        Considering how late period guns are, I am not to sure
        how much of a topic could be discussed(as per the
        quote from the group home).

        I suppose that the 14th Century could be considered
        "late period" by a Roman or viking. Consider the
        following site:

        http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~dispater/handgonnes.htm

        notes that, "The earliest authenticated document for
        the use of cannons in Europe is an order by the
        council of Florence to employ masters for the
        making of iron arrows and balls and "cannones de
        metallo" on February 11, 1326. In two manuscripts of
        1326, by Walter de Milemete, cannons are illustrated
        although not mentioned in the text. They are shown
        firing large metal bolts (musket arrows were
        stocked by European armies until the 1600s).
        Other early accounts mention cannon being
        shipped from Ghent (1313), and used against the Scots
        (1327)."

        This site notes that the first documentation for a
        "handgonne" in English occurs in 1338, but that there
        may be references in Italian that would indicate use
        of individual weapons, as opposed to crew-served, as
        early as 1281.

        =====
        Barak Raz
        (Emil M Stecher)