Happy SCA New Year

  • Brian Matthews
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2002
      Happy SCA New Year.
      It's now A.S. XXXVII
    • Jean Elizabeth Krevor
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2002
        Brian Matthews wrote:

        > Happy SCA New Year.
        > It's now A.S. XXXVII

        No, wait -- the SCA was "born" in 1966. I was born in 1967. I'm going to
        be 35 this year -- so it should be AS XXXVI (36), no?

        Don't age us before our time, eh? [grin]

        --Jean, who's been involved in this crazy group for longer than some
        folks here have been alive...25 years!
      • Jean Elizabeth Krevor
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2002
          Jean Elizabeth Krevor wrote:

          > Brian Matthews wrote:
          > >
          > > Happy SCA New Year.
          > > It's now A.S. XXXVII
          >
          > No, wait -- the SCA was "born" in 1966. I was born in 1967. I'm going to
          > be 35 this year -- so it should be AS XXXVI (36), no?

          Oh wait...there is no year "zero." D'oh. [wry grin]

          --Jean, under stress, please forgive me
        • Philip & Susan Troy
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2002
            Also sprach Jean Elizabeth Krevor:
            >Brian Matthews wrote:
            >>
            >> Happy SCA New Year.
            >> It's now A.S. XXXVII
            >
            >No, wait -- the SCA was "born" in 1966. I was born in 1967. I'm going to
            >be 35 this year -- so it should be AS XXXVI (36), no?
            >
            >Don't age us before our time, eh? [grin]
            >
            >--Jean, who's been involved in this crazy group for longer than some
            >folks here have been alive...25 years!

            I think you need to consider a slightly different dating system. Note
            that New Year's Day [sic] for the SCA is a few months before your
            birthday in August, and while you're going to be 35 (Jeez, this is
            all it took to make _me_ feel old), you'll be in your 36th year, at
            the end of which time you'll be 36. The SCA, similarly, is in its
            37th year, meaning it is 36-plus-years-old.

            Phil/Adamantius
          • Philip & Susan Troy
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2002
              Also sprach Philip & Susan Troy:
              >I think you need to consider a slightly different dating system. Note
              >that New Year's Day [sic] for the SCA is a few months before your
              >birthday in August, and while you're going to be 35 (Jeez, this is
              >all it took to make _me_ feel old), you'll be in your 36th year, at
              >the end of which time you'll be 36. The SCA, similarly, is in its
              >37th year, meaning it is 36-plus-years-old.

              Sorry, Jean, I jotted this off before seeing your later post, and did
              catch it before it went out initially, but evidently not before it
              got into the outgoing queue.

              Phil/Adamantius
            • April Bennett
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                Happy New Year! (Regardless of what year it is....) What is the exact date
                for the "New Year"?

                YIS,
                Marsaili Inghean Dhomnail

                >From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy@...>
                >To: EKSouth@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [EKSouth] Happy SCA New Year
                >Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:30:05 -0400
                >
                >Also sprach Philip & Susan Troy:
                > >I think you need to consider a slightly different dating system. Note
                > >that New Year's Day [sic] for the SCA is a few months before your
                > >birthday in August, and while you're going to be 35 (Jeez, this is
                > >all it took to make _me_ feel old), you'll be in your 36th year, at
                > >the end of which time you'll be 36. The SCA, similarly, is in its
                > >37th year, meaning it is 36-plus-years-old.
                >
                >Sorry, Jean, I jotted this off before seeing your later post, and did
                >catch it before it went out initially, but evidently not before it
                >got into the outgoing queue.
                >
                >Phil/Adamantius

              • Philip & Susan Troy
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                  Also sprach April Bennett:
                  >Happy New Year! (Regardless of what year it is....) What is the exact date
                  >for the "New Year"?
                  >
                  >YIS,
                  >Marsaili Inghean Dhomnail

                  Based on when this thread began, people seem to be working on the
                  assumption that it is May 1st; I had always thought it was whatever
                  date Spring Coronation was on, at least here in the East. But I could
                  be wrong; I'm just basing this on observation.

                  Adamantius
                • E. F. MORRILL
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2002

                    > Also sprach April Bennett:
                    > >Happy New Year! (Regardless of what year it is....) What is the exact date
                    > >for the "New Year"?
                    > >
                    > >YIS,
                    > >Marsaili Inghean Dhomnail
                    >
                    > Based on when this thread began, people seem to be working on the
                    > assumption that it is May 1st; I had always thought it was whatever
                    > date Spring Coronation was on, at least here in the East. But I could
                    > be wrong; I'm just basing this on observation.
                    >
                    > Adamantius

                    May 1, 1966 - First Event.

                    Anniversary is May 1

                    --
                    E. F. Morrill Icon God of the Theatre World
                    aka Viscount Edward Zifran of Gendy, KSCA, OL, OP, ETC.
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                      SCA New Year is always May 1st, and thus easy to remember.

                      Another clever memory jogger (in the East) is that Spring Coronation
                      usually falls on Daylight Savings time weekend, while Fall Crown is
                      usually on the weekend we switch back to Daylight Standard time.
                      Just remember - at spring Coronation we lose an heir, at fall Crown
                      we gain an heir.

                      <ducking and running>

                      Jessa
                    • kathe1@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5, 2002
                        On Thu, 02 May 2002 21:55:42 -0000 "marlal" <mlecin@...>
                        writes:
                        > SCA New Year is always May 1st, and thus easy to remember.
                        >
                        > Another clever memory jogger (in the East) is that Spring Coronation
                        >
                        > usually falls on Daylight Savings time weekend, while Fall Crown is
                        > usually on the weekend we switch back to Daylight Standard time.
                        > Just remember - at spring Coronation we lose an heir, at fall Crown
                        > we gain an heir.
                        >
                        > <ducking and running>
                        >
                        > Jessa

                        Ooh. That was bad. :-)