Re: [EKSouth] Enough is Enough

  • Jeffrey Blaisdell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
      I think someone spammed the list. If it WAS a member, he should be drawn and
      quartered (at least have his SCA membership revoked). I suggest everyone
      flood his email.

      Azoth

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
        The email apparently seems to have been sent by:

        From: konnylen@...
        The thing about the EKSouth group is that it has unmoderated membership. So, in theory, anyone in the whole world can go and sign up to be on the group, and send whatever they want out to the group. This konnylen@... person joined on 1/7/02, probably by an automatic process to send out spam through yahoogroups.

        The other rather likely thing that may have occurred is that this person joined the list recently, and was infected with some manner of computer virus that sends out emails such as the one we all received through the list.

        I can't believe how much bandwidth and passion is spent screaming at the top of your lungs about tolerance only to go hurtling off the deep-end with regard to a (random, first ever piece I've received on this list) piece of SPAM that's easily ignored or deleted.

        I'm appalled at the sudden outcry for blood at the abrupt appearance of what's essentially a piece of junk mail.

        People: COPE.

        -- Caitriona ab Aqua
        mka Lisa Soto

        > I've had it with this group.  The religious arguments ad nauseum was
        > bad enough, but I draw the line when it comes to people using this
        > list to sell pornography.  I'm pulling my name from the list.
        >
        > Lady Laine
        > Herald of Marwick
        > Barony of Settmour Swamp

      • Gwendolen Lambert
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
          Your Grace:

          I'd like to offer a few suggestions as to how to "monitor" who joins the
          EKSouth List.

          As List Owner, you have the ability to approve new members prior to their
          joining. If you go into the EKSouth.yahoogroups.com page, and then go into
          Settings and click Edit, you will find where you can reset the List so that
          you have to approve a person prior to their ability to post to the List. On
          the lists that I own, I also have it set so that the welcome email is
          automatically sent when a person subscribes to the list. If I do not
          receive a reply to the welcome email within a few days, I deny that person's
          entry to the list. You can also choose the option to have a notification
          sent to you when a person wishes to subscribe to the list so you can monitor
          who wishes to join. However, I suggest waiting until they respond to the
          welcome email prior to approving their membership to the list. It's really
          very simple, doesn't take much time, and affords a great deal of protection
          from would-be spammers.

          If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

          YIS,

          Lady Gwendolen Lambert

          =====
          Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use.

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • Allison263@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
            In a message dated 1/7/02 8:58:21 PM, jdb967@... writes:

            << I draw the line when it comes to people using this
            > list to sell pornography. >>

            I guess I missed something. What is this gentle talking about?

            Mistress Gabrielle
          • Janet Anderson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
              ><< I draw the line when it comes to people using this
              > > list to sell pornography. >>
              >
              >I guess I missed something. What is this gentle talking about?

              I'm not sure, because clearly my junk mail filter was doing its job, but
              apparently someone subscribed to the list and sent out a pornography ad.
              We're now trying to figure out how to prevent this in the future.

              Dorigen

            • Philip & Susan Troy
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
                Allison263@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 1/7/02 8:58:21 PM, jdb967@... writes:
                >
                > << I draw the line when it comes to people using this
                >
                >>list to sell pornography. >>
                >>

                > I guess I missed something. What is this gentle talking about?
                >
                > Mistress Gabrielle

                AOL may have filtered it somehow from your mailbox...

                Adamantius
                --
                Phil & Susan Troy

                troy@...

                "It was so blatant that Roger threw at him. Clemens gets away with
                things that get other people thrown out of games. As long as they
                let him get away with it, it's going to continue." -- Joe Torre, 9/98
              • Allison263@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
                  In a message dated 1/7/02 11:29:58 PM, troy@... writes:

                  << AOL may have filtered it somehow from your mailbox... >>

                  Actually something that AOL might be good for . . .
                  Thank you to those who explained the situation.

                  Mistress Gabrielle
                • Timothy & Gabrielle Taylor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 8, 2002
                    Greetings to the List,

                    Thanks to all who have gotten in touch with recommendations on how to prevent
                    SPAM on the list in the future. I've made a few changes: new members postings
                    will now be moderated (though old members are still unmoderated), attachments
                    will be discarded, and membership is now restricted. That is, when someone
                    subscribes, they are not automatically able to post. I will get notification
                    that they want to join the list, I'll send them a welcome letter with
                    instructions to e-mail me back, and when that happens their membership on the
                    list will be approved.

                    I hate to place restrictions on but unfortunately that's what it will take to
                    prevent Spamming in the future. Hopefully it will work. Thank you for your
                    patience.

                    In Service,
                    Gabrielle van Nijenrode, List Administrator