Re: Full Moon [not OT!]

  • Dawn Offenbecker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001
      Congratulations on your marriage! May you have much happiness. The moon
      was also eclipsed that night. My lord and I were married (many years
      ago) also on a night of a full moon with an eclipse.

      The full moon of December 30 was the only full moon in December. The
      previous full moon was on November 30. It might have still looked full
      on the following night.

      The idea of a "blue moon" as the second full moon in a month is a recent
      interpretation. An article in 1937 in the Maine Farmers' Almanac
      explained that occasionally a year had 13 full moons and suggested that
      the thirteenth was called a blue moon. An article in Sky & Telescope in
      1946 mentioned that article and further explained that in such a year
      one month would have two full moons. This interpretation of the second
      full moon as the "blue moon" was popularized starting in 1980 with its
      mention on an astronomical radio program. In fact, no one really knows
      the origin or original meaning of the phrase "blue moon." However, it
      has been around since at least the 16th century, when it was used in a
      religious tract. Therefore, the phrase is in period and is not OT!

      Dagrún Stjörnufróða