RE: [EKSouth] Greg Bear: Poul Anderson gravely ill

  • Joe Irvine
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2001

      That’s nice.. but what does this have to do with the SCA?

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2001
        Joe Irvine wrote:

        > That’s nice.. but what does this have to do with the SCA?

        No, it's not nice. It affects SCA members in a similar way to, say, the
        way the death of Marion Zimmer Bradley did, or if grave illness should
        strike Katherine Kurtz. As stated above, Mr. Anderson is one of our
        founders, and even if this means nothing to you, I suspect you're in a
        distinct minority on that point.

        Adamantius
        --
        Phil Troy

        troy@...

        "It was so blatant that Roger threw at him. Clemens gets away with
        things that get other people thrown out of games. As long as they
        let him get away with it, it's going to continue." -- Joe Torre, 9/98
      • Robin Carroll-Mann
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2001
          On 1 Aug 2001, at 7:27, Joe Irvine wrote:

          > That's nice.. but what does this have to do with the SCA?

          As the original message said, Poul is one of the founders of the
          Society. He is known in the SCA as Sir Bela of Eastmarch, and
          was knighted in A.S. II.

          May he go in peace, and his family find comfort.

          Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
          rcmann4@...
        • Jean Elizabeth Krevor
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2001
            --- Joe Irvine <graewulf@...> wrote:
            > That's nice..

            Eh wot? What's nice about it? Even if the person mentioned had NOTHING
            to do with the SCA, how callous to say "That's nice" to a post that
            someone's dying. *You* might not know the gentle in question, but I'm
            sure someone else might.

            You also said:

            > but what does this have to do with the SCA?

            If you'd read the part of the post you left attached below you'd see
            *exactly* what this has to do with the SCA. Poul Anderson was one of
            the founding members of the SCA, known as Sir Bela of Eastmarch. And he
            wasn't a dinosaur relegated to legend either -- he remained active
            throughout all these years of the Society.

            I think it's a testament to how well loved Poul was that the news of
            his illness and now his passing has been disseminated so far and wide.
            I've received such messages on just about every mailing list I'm on,
            and some of them have NOTHING to do with each other in the least bit.

            A bit of sensitivity to others might do you well, milord. Just because
            something has nothing to do with you doesn't mean it doesn't to others.
            If you don't like it, hit "d" now.

            Slainte'--

            Jean E. Krevor/Elizabeth nicIan

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Joe Irvine
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001

              I should apologize, but you should understand where I come from.…. When you get the large masses of e-mail that I get, you get in the habit of scanning them for content rather than reading them all in detail. When I see a message that obviously quotes from an editorial or other such source (which the message in question did), I immediately see it as SPAM, and I get a lot of that from mailing lists every day (I see an average of 100 messages a day from 3 lists). I have been doing this for far longer than most and have read millions of messages, most off-topic, in my years on-line. A personal account would have been different, but posts by someone who only heard of a person don’t have the same meaning. I had already heard this news previously from sci-fi sources, so seeing it posted to an SCA list was just a tad bit out of place, sort of like the flashlight SPAM going around on the SCA lists…..

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                M'Lord,

                Forgive me for pointing this out but, though you say you should
                apologize, you never actually did. It was not the fault of the
                poster that it is your habit not to fully read messages. Even if it
                seems to have nothing to do with you or the SCA, the ideals of
                courtesy that we strive for would dictate a less flippant response
                when the subject is such a serious one.

                I do not mean to pick on you, but your response hit on something of a
                pet-peeve for me. In the immediacy of the medium of email, we all
                need to remember that courtesy is still supposed to be at the core of
                what we do. How humbling it was for me to read from one of his
                friends that even as Sir Bela was dying, he maintained the "deep-
                seated gentlemanliness that Poul always had, and which was, I think,
                built into his whole body and being." Remembering to practice such
                courtesy ourselves is perhaps one of the best memorials we can offer
                him.

                In service,
                Isabeau d'Orleans

                --- In EKSouth@y..., "Joe Irvine" <graewulf@y...> wrote:
                > I should apologize, but you should understand where I come from...
                When you
                > get the large masses of e-mail that I get, you get in the habit of
                scanning
                > them for content rather than reading them all in detail. When I see
                > message that obviously quotes from an editorial or other such
                source (which
                > the message in question did), I immediately see it as SPAM, and I
                get a lot
                > of that from mailing lists every day (I see an average of 100
                messages a day
                > from 3 lists). I have been doing this for far longer than most and
                have read
                > millions of messages, most off-topic, in my years on-line. A
                personal
                > account would have been different, but posts by someone who only
                heard of a
                > person don't have the same meaning. I had already heard this news
                previously
                > from sci-fi sources, so seeing it posted to an SCA list was just a
                tad bit
                > out of place, sort of like the flashlight SPAM going around on the
                SCA
                > lists...

                Messenger
                > http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210156.1528659.3092253.1456767/D=egroupweb/S=17
                057675

                03:HM/A=734384/R=0/*https://www.joinhistorybookclub.com/mybookclub/his
                tory/b
                > ookclubs/hbc/JoinFast/c2/c2_coupon.htm/?src=015_02_hf_273_487_2687>

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              • Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                  >When I see a
                  > message that obviously quotes from an editorial or other such source (which
                  > the message in question did), I immediately see it as SPAM,

                  Wow! you must miss out on a whole bunch of good stuff, such as the
                  messages about web sites of interest.

                  One way to limit the amount of junk in mailing lists is to TRIM YOUR POSTS
                  and TURN OFF 'Send as HTML AND Plain Text' before sending.

                • Joe Irvine
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001

                    You are right, I do apologize…  you see that post is also one of my pet peeves… it seems that whenever a famous person gets sick, dies, etc.. Someone feels compelled to post this to the list every time. While someone who is not so famous or well-known, someone in the SCA that we actually see on a somewhat regular basis (and might actually recognize if we pass on the street),  gets sick or dies, nothing gets mentioned to the lists (or cross-posted to multiple lists as that post was). Are these people any less important to the SCA than one of its founding members? I think not… Yet we don’t make announcements for these people. What’s wrong with this picture? Where is the courtesy in that?

                    Dierk zem Grauen Wolf

                    Forgive me for pointing this out but, though you say you should
                    apologize, you never actually did.  It was not the fault of the
                    poster that it is your habit not to fully read messages.  Even if it
                    seems to have nothing to do with you or the SCA, the ideals of
                    courtesy that we strive for would dictate a less flippant response
                    when the subject is such a serious one.

                    I do not mean to pick on you, but your response hit on something of a
                    pet-peeve for me.  In the immediacy of the medium of email, we all
                    need to remember that courtesy is still supposed to be at the core of
                    what we do.  How humbling it was for me to read from one of his
                    friends that even as Sir Bela was dying, he maintained the "deep-
                    seated gentlemanliness that Poul always had, and which was, I think,
                    built into his whole body and being."  Remembering to practice such
                    courtesy ourselves is perhaps one of the best memorials we can offer
                    him.

                    In service,
                    Isabeau d'Orleans

                    --- In EKSouth@y..., "Joe Irvine" <graewulf@y...> wrote:
                    > I should apologize, but you should understand where I come from...
                    When you
                    > get the large masses of e-mail that I get, you get in the habit of
                    scanning
                    > them for content rather than reading them all in detail. When I see
                    > message that obviously quotes from an editorial or other such
                    source (which
                    > the message in question did), I immediately see it as SPAM, and I
                    get a lot
                    > of that from mailing lists every day (I see an average of 100
                    messages a day
                    > from 3 lists). I have been doing this for far longer than most and
                    have read
                    > millions of messages, most off-topic, in my years on-line. A
                    personal
                    > account would have been different, but posts by someone who only
                    heard of a
                    > person don't have the same meaning. I had already heard this news
                    previously
                    > from sci-fi sources, so seeing it posted to an SCA list was just a
                    tad bit
                    > out of place, sort of like the flashlight SPAM going around on the
                    SCA
                    > lists...

                  • Anne Adamczyk
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                      It is really quite a shame that we fail to honor our founders. They
                      are growing older, as we all are. Inevitably we will lose them all,
                      as we have lost Marion Zimmer Bradley and will lose Poul Anderson.
                      Their dream has brought us closer to finding and creating our own.
                      Is it really such an annoyance to be asked to take a moment to
                      quietly honor them?

                      On the other hand, everyone has the right to be remembered by their
                      friends and acquaintances. If you wish to be so remembered, be sure
                      to let a friend or family member know to post your passing. I'm sure
                      there are those who would appreciate the information.

                      Truly felt and without sarcasm or malintent, I remain,
                      Grania

                      --- In EKSouth@y..., "Joe Irvine" <graewulf@y...> wrote:
                      > You are right, I do apologize… you see that post is also one of my
                      pet
                      > peeves… it seems that whenever a famous person gets sick, dies,
                      etc..
                      > Someone feels compelled to post this to the list every time. While
                      someone
                      > who is not so famous or well-known, someone in the SCA that we
                      actually see
                      > on a somewhat regular basis (and might actually recognize if we
                      pass on the
                      > street), gets sick or dies, nothing gets mentioned to the lists (or
                      > cross-posted to multiple lists as that post was). Are these people
                      any less
                      > important to the SCA than one of its founding members? I think not…
                      Yet we
                      > don't make announcements for these people. What's wrong with this
                      picture?
                      > Where is the courtesy in that?
                      >

                      > Dierk zem Grauen Wolf

                      Service
                      > > < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210156.1528659.3092253.1456767/D=egroupweb/S=17
                      057675

                      03:HM/A=734384/R=0/*https://www.joinhistorybookclub.com/mybookclub/his
                      tory/b
                      > ookclubs/hbc/JoinFast/c2/c2_coupon.htm/?src=015_02_hf_273_487_2687>

                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    • Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                        Joe Irvine wrote:

                        > You are right, I do apologize… you see that post is also one of my pet peeves… it seems that whenever a famous person gets sick, dies, etc.. Someone feels compelled to post this to the list every time. While
                        > someone who is not so famous or well-known, someone in the SCA that we actually see on a somewhat regular basis (and might actually recognize if we pass on the street), gets sick or dies, nothing gets
                        > mentioned to the lists (or cross-posted to multiple lists as that post was). Are these people any less important to the SCA than one of its founding members? I think not… Yet we don’t make announcements for
                        > these people. What’s wrong with this picture? Where is the courtesy in that?
                        >

                        > Dierk zem Grauen Wolf

                        I dunno, I don't think I've seen it happen that a SCAdian has passed on
                        without being noted by some friend or friends.

                        Just as a random example, recently the folks over on the cooks' mailing
                        list experienced a sudden loss in the person of a fantastic manuscript
                        researcher, someone whose name would almost certainly be known to
                        anybody who does this type of research. I wouldn't necessarily consider
                        this person a literary luminary outside of this field, but her loss will
                        be keenly felt.

                        My own experience has been that we _do_ make announcements for these
                        people, generally. As long as each of us makes sure no such loss in our
                        sphere of acquaintances and friends goes unnoticed, we're covered. And
                        where the courtesy, or the lack thereof, lies, is in us.

                        Adamantius
                        --
                        Phil & Susan Troy

                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                          Hello List,
                          So, Poul Anderson has moved on. I'll bet he's started a chapter of
                          the SCA where ever his is now. Good life. Well done. To live that long
                          into adulthood and not lose the childlike sense of wonder and play that
                          keeps us young to the end. A story weaver and an active scadian
                          surrounded by his loved ones and respected by all. Not a bad way to go.
                          Vivat! Look what he's left us to remember him by.
                          And when anyone else in the SCA passes on, we will all feel the
                          same way. A member of our family has left us. I remember too many posts
                          like this the last year. Several years ago when a member of my household
                          passed away, not well known, but loved. The scadian turnout to his
                          funeral and wake was overwhelming. We're a good lot, and we feel deeply
                          when one of us moves on.
                          In this context it makes our little gripes and peves seem small and
                          unimportant.
                          None of us is promised tomorrow.
                          Fondly,
                          -Geoffrei

                        • Justine Pilewski
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                            Not so recently, the death of one of our household members was posted to this list, for which we were grateful, as we had lost touch with him. With out that posting, we would not have known, or been able to attend
                            the services. He was not famous, or known for anything special, but he mattered to us.

                            Jenne McGill

                            "Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy" wrote:

                            > I dunno, I don't think I've seen it happen that a SCAdian has passed on
                            > without being noted by some friend or friends.
                            >
                            > Just as a random example, recently the folks over on the cooks' mailing
                            > list experienced a sudden loss in the person of a fantastic manuscript
                            > researcher, someone whose name would almost certainly be known to
                            > anybody who does this type of research. I wouldn't necessarily consider
                            > this person a literary luminary outside of this field, but her loss will
                            > be keenly felt.
                            >
                            > My own experience has been that we _do_ make announcements for these
                            > people, generally. As long as each of us makes sure no such loss in our
                            > sphere of acquaintances and friends goes unnoticed, we're covered. And
                            > where the courtesy, or the lack thereof, lies, is in us.
                            >
                            > Adamantius
                            > --
                            > Phil & Susan Troy
                            >
                            > troy@...
                          • Jenne Heise
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
                              > Someone feels compelled to post this to the list every time. While someone
                              > who is not so famous or well-known, someone in the SCA that we actually see
                              > on a somewhat regular basis (and might actually recognize if we pass on the
                              > street), gets sick or dies, nothing gets mentioned to the lists (or
                              > cross-posted to multiple lists as that post was). Are these people any less
                              > important to the SCA than one of its founding members? I think not… Yet we
                              > don’t make announcements for these people. What’s wrong with this picture?
                              > Where is the courtesy in that?

                              Oddly enough, I've seen many, many such postings cross-posted to lists
                              over time. I've even initiated one recently (though not to this list,
                              someone else posted it here). It's hard to bring yourself
                              to post to lists the news that someone you knew and loved is dead. Worse
                              still when you have watched similar announcements get derided with 'that's
                              nice' or worse theological discussions about the political correctness of
                              the poster's expression of grief, which have happened on this list. But
                              the announcements do get posted. If you know someone in the SCA who died,
                              you can post that information, then it will be posted, won't it?

                              I believe that semiregularly at events such as Pennsic and 12th night,
                              people set up either walls of memory or similar projects to remember those
                              who we knew in the SCA who have died.

                            • Kevin Dail
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
                                >You are right, I do apologizeŠ you see that post is also one of my
                                >pet peevesŠ it seems that whenever a famous person gets sick, dies,
                                >etc.. Someone feels compelled to post this to the list every time.
                                >While someone who is not so famous or well-known, someone in the SCA
                                >that we actually see on a somewhat regular basis (and might actually
                                >recognize if we pass on the street), gets sick or dies, nothing
                                >gets mentioned to the lists (or cross-posted to multiple lists as
                                >that post was). Are these people any less important to the SCA than
                                >one of its founding members? I think notŠ Yet we don't make
                                >announcements for these people. What's wrong with this picture?
                                >Where is the courtesy in that?

                                I believe that you are incorrect. I have seen many missives informing
                                us of the sickness/passing of local Scadians. I fear that I may soon
                                have a message of my own to send soon....

                                Where death is concerned, I have no problem with ANY message. Even if
                                I do not know the individual involved, I feel it is most appropriate
                                and welcome information.

                                Kevin MacDaill GMB, Man at Arms
                                Cheshire House, House Ethereal

                                (mka)Kevin John Dail
                                Art Director, Web Illuminators Inc.,
                                Web Design, Graphics and Hosting
                                kdail@...

                                http://www.webilluminators.com
                                http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/7736/archery.html
                                Join House Ethereal mailing list at:
                                http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/Ethereal
                              • Joe Irvine
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 5, 2001

                                  I guess it depends on where you are then… I have seen a  couple around here but some I only heard after the fact months later…..