Important Phone Scam Alert

  • Gwendolen Lambert
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2001
      Received this in office today. It's important to know.

      In a message dated 2/26/01 12:22:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, Snpdet writes:

      PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW I received a telephone call last
      evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician
      who was conducting a test on telephones lines. He stated that to complete
      the test I should touch nine(9),zero{0) the pound sign (#) and then hang
      up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

      Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#
      you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which
      enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.
      I was further informed that this seam has been originating from many local
      jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom,
      Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please DO NOT press 90# for
      ANYONE. The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information
      with EVERYONE ( KNOW. PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know.

      If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are
      connected with, I encourage you to pass on this information to them. too.
      After checking with Verizon they said it was true so do not dial
      (9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.

      PLEASE PASS THIS ON

    • Matthew Lecin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
        >"Gwendolen Lambert" <Marillian@...> wrote:
        Received this in office today. It's important to know.

        Before you go off an forward this to everyone you know, read:

        http://www.att.com/features/0398/90pound.html

        Mitchell, B�ro et Miles

        _ _ _ | In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in
        ' )' )' ) | me an invincible summer. -- Albert Camus
        / / / |
        / (_' | Matthew J. Lecin mlecin@...