Re: [EKSouth] get a clue

  • mastercahankyle@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
      In a message dated 10/12/00 9:42:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      linette@... writes:

      <<
      It's a shame that you find the list to be worthless to you. I myself find
      it very valuable, useful for many things. I *like* those reminders of
      events I might have skimmed over in Pikestaff (case in point: the lovely
      Silver Rylle herb event, A Walk in the Garden, which I might not have
      remembered without the EKSouth reminder). I have participated in lively,
      stimulating, and hopefully productive discussions on this list. I have
      found information when needed, such as information on restaurants local to
      Coronation, and posted announcements of potential interest to the members
      as well, >>

      I strongly agree with Mistress Lynette. I myself find much useful additional
      info and reminders on this is which, as someone else stated, is one of the
      purposes of this. One of the many discussions which were part of the reason
      this list exists is that many people in this region of the kingdom do not
      talk to each other on a regular daily basis and this list to help us
      communicate with one another, send reminders, and have general discussions.
      Like Baroness Margaret posted, there are times I misplaced my copy of the
      Pikestaff, I don't misplace my computers.

      If this is such a problem for you, I am sorry, but many of us enjoy being
      reminded of an event once and a while or any changes to and event. I am on
      many lists and average 200-300 messages a day, so I welcome any further
      information on an event in this area or a reminder.

      Master Cahan Kyle
      Golden Stag, Shire of Montevale
      Councilor to Queen Isabella
    • Deewolff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
        I speak as a person who has put event announcements up in this list.

        It has come to the fact that the past eight Ostgardr events have had
        difficulty with the Pikestaff. (Not in, not correct info, not timely info:
        despite them recieving correct and timely info for placement) We expect this
        to change as our new Pikestaff editor takes over, but we have had two events
        tank because of this. Therefore, to try to overcome this, we have posted to
        ANY newsgroup with an SCA audience.

        As a result of these mailings, some of our events manged to break even.

        The most recent announcement was to tell of the posting of the classes that
        will be offered at EKU for the benefit of those who wanted to plan their
        arrival. As only 40 people have preregistered, I posted the info publically
        so those intending to come (who have not preregistered) might have some idea
        of what classes they might want to attend.

        As this list services the Southern Region, and we as a Southern Region barony
        depend on attendance from our neighbors, we wanted to keep you up to date on
        what is going on up here in the Northern corner. We were also seeking
        TEACHERS from the Southern region and thought this was the best way to find
        them.

        My apologies if you are offended. I was under the impression that some of
        this list might have wanted the information. I will refrain from posting to
        this community if this offends others.

        Andrea Macintyre
        Seneschale of Ostgardr
      • mizzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
          In a message dated 10/11/00 11:24:48 PM, arnulf@... writes:

          << I delete ANYTHING with an event in it's header as a matter as recourse.
          Stop SPAMMING this list!!!!!!!!!

          Arnulf, I would respectfully like to disagree with your position that event
          notices are spam to this list. Pikestaff is a decent publication but with a
          2 month lead time for printed material and a somewhat spotty record of
          actually printing the material it's sent it is not always the most reliable
          way to spread information.

          I would rather see some duplication of info than miss an event because
          Pikestaff didn't get it. or even because the group missed the 2 month lead
          time for Pikstaff with the final details.

          Of course, if the same event notice is put on the list 2x a week or something
          that would be a different story. So far that has not been the case.

          So PLEASE, lighten up.

          In service,

          Mairgret, Baroness AnDubhaigeainn
        • Philip & Susan Troy
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
            kmizzi@... wrote:

            > 3. Did you notice that you sent the exact same message to this list two times?

            Yeah, we really oughtta do something about all this SPAM ; ).

            Adamantius
            --
            Phil & Susan Troy

            troy@...
          • Dave Calafrancesco
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
              --- Deewolff@... wrote:
              > I speak as a person who has put event announcements up in this list.

              {snip}

              > My apologies if you are offended. I was under the impression that some of
              > this list might have wanted the information. I will refrain from posting to
              > this community if this offends others.

              Don't you dare... I'd sooner see the one person with a problem who doesn't even
              regularly read the list unsub himself (and I was tempted to help him along in
              that regard but refrained) rather than see a cessation to the useful event
              messages.

              That said, there is a line that one should be careful to not cross... I would
              point to the rather heavy traffic that the GWW (I believe it was that or
              Estrella) that seemed to hit every kingdom mailing list as well as the rialto.
              Looking at those we often saw three to eight messages in a row about the same
              event, often the exact same content as before, usually months before the event
              in question.

              Getting the word out about a local event is one thing. Getting the word out
              about a change to an event is an entirely worthwhile practice, repeating 3 - 8
              messages regularly for months is an abuse. Nobody down here has done anything
              of the sort. For the GWW/Estrella announcements I refer to, a better solution
              would have been to have created a web page of changes to the event with links
              to the newly modified information on the web, and then a simple message stating
              that a major set of changes for the xxxx event has been updated on the web,
              please see this URL or write me back for an email of the changes...

              Oh, as for your EKU announcements, could you do me a favor and get rid of the
              quoted ascii and send it as plain text only please... you wouldn't believe how
              hard it is to read it after the various translations...

              Haraldr Bassi

              =====
              Dave Calafrancesco

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • The Solomons
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2000
                please don't stop posting those....I value them, as do others.

                Katrina
                Barony of Bhakail
                Chronicler and WebMistress

              • argente@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 13, 2000
                  I want event announcements on the list. Have you ever tried to read Pikestaff
                  while driving??? Because, now the data is on my computer, I can print it out
                  in large print for travel directions.

                  argente
                • Seraphina MacD
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 13, 2000
                    I agree. Please continue to post any and all event announcements!
                    Especially since I haven't received my October Pikestaff yet!!

                    Seraphina
                    Pursuivant, MoC, MoL, Shire of Silver Rylle

                    http://profiles.msn.com
                  • Anthony J Honebrink
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 13, 2000
                      Event announcements posted here do not bother me, for the simple fact
                      this is one of only two EK related lists I
                      receive. My daily download of messages has been 225+ and these 2 lists
                      are not even a percentage point of data received. Much quicker to scan
                      the few daily messages I get in these 2 lists then trying to find a
                      master EK related list or the Rialto list plus my normal daily pull.

                      Lord Geoffert of the Lone Oake
                      Seneschal, Bailiwicke of Ivyeinrust

                      On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:32:37 EDT Deewolff@... writes:
                      > I speak as a person who has put event announcements up in this list.
                      >
                      > It has come to the fact that the past eight Ostgardr events have had
                      >
                      > difficulty with the Pikestaff. (Not in, not correct info, not timely
                      > info:
                      > despite them recieving correct and timely info for placement) We
                      > expect this
                      > to change as our new Pikestaff editor takes over, but we have had
                      > two events
                      > tank because of this. Therefore, to try to overcome this, we have
                      > posted to
                      > ANY newsgroup with an SCA audience.
                      >
                      > As a result of these mailings, some of our events manged to break
                      > even.
                      >
                      > The most recent announcement was to tell of the posting of the
                      > classes that
                      > will be offered at EKU for the benefit of those who wanted to plan
                      > their
                      > arrival. As only 40 people have preregistered, I posted the info
                      > publically
                      > so those intending to come (who have not preregistered) might have
                      > some idea
                      > of what classes they might want to attend.
                      >
                      > As this list services the Southern Region, and we as a Southern
                      > Region barony
                      > depend on attendance from our neighbors, we wanted to keep you up to
                      > date on
                      > what is going on up here in the Northern corner. We were also
                      > seeking
                      > TEACHERS from the Southern region and thought this was the best way
                      > to find
                      > them.
                      >
                      > My apologies if you are offended. I was under the impression that
                      > some of
                      > this list might have wanted the information. I will refrain from
                      > posting to
                      > this community if this offends others.
                      >
                      > Andrea Macintyre
                      > Seneschale of Ostgardr

                      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • Cynon Mac an Choile
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 16, 2000
                        While it's true that this list is not an announcement list, and that I
                        rarely read it myself, scanning the messages here I don't see tons of
                        event announcements. I find it hard to believe that someone (like the
                        poster who wrote the below message) could be this discourtious! I
                        don't see any reason that someone, especially someone who is having a
                        hard time getting their events announced, shouldn't post it here!
                        Perhaps a header with "Event Announcement" would allow those people who
                        are upset by this to figure out how to use the delete option on their
                        mail reader.

                        Cynon

                        --- arnulf adler <arnulf@...> wrote:
                        > I am totally serious here..
                        > Everyone! I mean everyone!
                        > Who does not get Pikestaff, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        > Write!!!!!!!
                        > We know about your (insert things I won't say in public {ask Manfred
                        > what I will say in public (sorry your Execllency I needed to make a
                        > point)}) events. I delete ANYTHING with an event in it's header as
                        > a matter as recourse. Stop SPAMMING this list!!!!!!!!!
                        >
                        > This list is for things that could not otherwise be spread.
                        > Frankly, It's gotten so worthless I read it twice a month. Gee, I
                        > read Pikestaff more often than that!
                        >
                        > Arnulf
                        >

                        > 10% cash back on all your calls through 2000 at Lycos Communications
                        > at http://comm.lycos.com

                        =====
                        -Cynon-

                        "A contract without a sword is only a piece of paper"

                        http://im.yahoo.com/