Respect for the departed

  • Wulfbrande@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 1999
      To all on this list, I bear greetings,

      I would like to speak my mind on this whole discussion about religion and
      the mentioning of it on this list. You know, as one who is taking care of a
      close family relative who has terminal cancer and very little time left, I
      think we have totally missed the point: one of our number is no longer with us
      . No more shall we enjoy his company at events, interact with him in schtick,
      or anything else. The mentioning of any religion may or may not have been
      appropriate, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT! To my lord Emir, if you were offended
      by that announcement, I am sorry. But you have made such an issue of it, that
      your missive was not appropriate either. Instead of bickering over religion,
      we should be paying our respects to our departed brother, not arguing if he
      is going to go to Valhalla or Heaven (or any other place for that matter). To
      those who knew him personally, I would like to give my most sincere
      condolences, and my apologies. To our fallen comrade, we wish you well,
      wherever you may be...

      Wulfbrande of Tygre's Paw
    • jsand713@xx.xxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 1999
        Hear Hear! and Wetsu!

        What he said.

        Omar

        On 12/28/99 21:09:07 you wrote:

        >From: Wulfbrande@...
        >
        >To all on this list, I bear greetings,
        >
        > I would like to speak my mind on this whole discussion about religion and
        >the mentioning of it on this list. You know, as one who is taking care of a
        >close family relative who has terminal cancer and very little time left, I
        >think we have totally missed the point: one of our number is no longer with us
        >. No more shall we enjoy his company at events, interact with him in schtick,
        >or anything else. The mentioning of any religion may or may not have been
        >appropriate, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT! To my lord Emir, if you were offended
        >by that announcement, I am sorry. But you have made such an issue of it, that
        >your missive was not appropriate either. Instead of bickering over religion,
        >we should be paying our respects to our departed brother, not arguing if he
        >is going to go to Valhalla or Heaven (or any other place for that matter). To
        >those who knew him personally, I would like to give my most sincere
        >condolences, and my apologies. To our fallen comrade, we wish you well,
        >wherever you may be...
        >
        >Wulfbrande of Tygre's Paw

      • david/Aleksandr
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1 6:44 AM
          At 05:49 PM 12/29/1999 , jsand713@... wrote:
          >From: jsand713@...
          >
          >Hear Hear! and Wetsu!
          >
          >What he said.
          >
          >Omar
          >
          >On 12/28/99 21:09:07 you wrote:
          > >
          > >From: Wulfbrande@...
          > >
          > >To all on this list, I bear greetings,
          > >
          > > I would like to speak my mind on this whole discussion about
          > religion and
          > >the mentioning of it on this list. You know, as one who is taking care of a
          > >close family relative who has terminal cancer and very little time left, I
          > >think we have totally missed the point: one of our number is no longer
          > with us
          > >. No more shall we enjoy his company at events, interact with him in
          > schtick,
          > >or anything else. The mentioning of any religion may or may not have been
          > >appropriate, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT! To my lord Emir, if you were
          > offended
          > >by that announcement, I am sorry. But you have made such an issue of it,
          > that
          > >your missive was not appropriate either. Instead of bickering over
          > religion,
          > >we should be paying our respects to our departed brother, not arguing if he
          > >is going to go to Valhalla or Heaven (or any other place for that
          > matter). To
          > >those who knew him personally, I would like to give my most sincere
          > >condolences, and my apologies. To our fallen comrade, we wish you well,
          > >wherever you may be...
          > >
          > >Wulfbrande of Tygre's Paw

          This is getting insane - faith is that which we hold true but cannot prove
          - therefore my faith is just as valid, and "true" as yours.
          And I'll support (and suggest all do the same) everyone's right to hold a
          faith as long as said faith does not involve harming those of others.
          Same for any set of positive behavior rising out of any faith (I don't care
          *why* you believe you should not kill me, just as long as you don't).

          In the matter of one who is no longer with us or his/her family, try to
          follow out your late friend's wishes for ceremonies, and his/her
          familiy's/close friends, for they are those most especially harmed by a
          passing, though any man's loss is a loss for all.

          david/Aleksandr
          Who covers his head in a synagogue, uncovers it in a church, takes
          off his shoes in a mosque, etc.
          In respect for the faiths of those around him.
        • david/Aleksandr
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1 6:44 AM