New Exchequer policies, no checks at troll

  • Timothy & Gabrielle Taylor
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
      Last week at our last Baronial Business meeting, our Exchequer read some
      policy changes that were listed in a letter from the Regional Exchequer
      and I wondered what other people think. I know there was one in
      particular that everyone at the meeting had concerns about - namely,
      that no checks can be accepted at troll. Although it would be great if
      we could count on everyone coming to events with enough cash for troll,
      I think it would take quite awhile for people to get used to doing it,
      and we'd have a lot of unhappy attendees (and trolls) in the process.

      As the local Chronicler, another policy that concerned me is that new
      newsletter subscriptions will be pro-rated to expire with the December
      issue. I'm having a hard enough time keeping a good subscriber base, if
      I counted on everyone to re-subscribe every December for the next year I
      know I'd lose a lot of subscriptions.

      Anyone else have thoughts on these issues?

      Gabrielle
    • The Solomons
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
        I'm so glad you brought this up.
        I've been having the same problems with the Salamander's subscriptions. I
        had people in the last month asking for subscriptions, and I had to explain
        that they could pay me $1.00 for the last 2 issues of this year. Then in
        December I need to ask them to renew again?
        I had someone prepay for next year - and this winds up causing other book
        keeping problems, and what about people who paid mid year last year? We
        have ask them to pay in January for the prorated issues to bring them up to
        December of 2000.... I'm only using a very simple microsoft access database
        to track my subscriptions - alot of it a manual process. Anyone else?

        Katrina MacAulish
        Chronicler for the Barony of Bhakail
        The Salamander

      • Bronwynmgn@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
          In a message dated 10/13/99 4:48:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          flyingbear@... writes:

          << As the local Chronicler, another policy that concerned me is that new
          newsletter subscriptions will be pro-rated to expire with the December
          issue. I'm having a hard enough time keeping a good subscriber base, if
          I counted on everyone to re-subscribe every December for the next year I
          know I'd lose a lot of subscriptions. >>

          Actually, we started doing this about a year or so ago to give the Exchequer
          a break on figuring out how much newsletter money should show up on each
          quarterly report. We pro-rated everybody at 50 cents /issue for that first
          year (we decided to do it in the summer), and then just made sure the
          reminders got out for people to resubscribe in December. About the middle of
          January, the deputy chronicler gave me a list of people who hadn't
          resubscribed and they were contacted by e-mail to remind them personally (I
          maintain the shire email list and send out the shire-wide messages). There
          were about 5 out of 35 subscribers who needed this. The change really hasn't
          been all that much of a big deal for us. It also makes it easier for the
          Chronicler; he only needs to mark the Nov and Dec issues for everybody to
          "Remember to renew" instead of having to figure out which mailing labels to
          mark each month.

          It's a change, but at least for us has not been a difficult one.

          Brangwayna Morgan
        • Mary Osmanski
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
            > The change really hasn't
            > been all that much of a big deal for us. It also makes it easier for the
            > Chronicler; he only needs to mark the Nov and Dec issues for everybody to
            > "Remember to renew" instead of having to figure out which mailing labels
            > mark each month.

            Montevale has done it this way for the last three years. I find it's much
            easier to keep the records straight if everyone's subscription expires at
            the end of the calendar year.

            Mary
          • Mary Osmanski
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
              > Last week at our last Baronial Business meeting, our Exchequer read some
              > policy changes that were listed in a letter from the Regional Exchequer
              > and I wondered what other people think. I know there was one in
              > particular that everyone at the meeting had concerns about - namely,
              > that no checks can be accepted at troll. Although it would be great if
              > we could count on everyone coming to events with enough cash for troll,
              > I think it would take quite awhile for people to get used to doing it,
              > and we'd have a lot of unhappy attendees (and trolls) in the process.

              Our exchequer read us the changes at our October shire meeting too, and the
              reaction to "no checks at troll" was about the same here.

              I would like to know what the Regional Exchequer's rationale is for this
              particular policy change.

              Mary of Montevale
            • The Solomons
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
                I guess once you get to that point it would seem easier....but what about
                the new subscribers that want to start their subscriptions in October or
                November? Do you have them pay the prorate to the end of the year and the
                following year at the same time? I was under the impression from our
                exchequer that it causes bookkeeping problems. How have you handled this in
                the past? Our mailing list seems to be growing at an alarming rate in the
                last 2 months.

                Katrina

              • MIKEnJUDYC@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
                  Greetings,
                  I know that it's been policy that no checks are taken at kingdom level
                  events. The reason is that too many people are passing bad checks, and many
                  times do not/will not make good on them, and it is costing groups money, and
                  plays hell with event reports and books. It's a sad situation, but it's
                  happening. Trying to make good on those checks can be tough. A bad check is
                  difficult to collect on, short of finding the person and confronting them for
                  the money, which is difficult to do and makes for a horrible encounter at an
                  event. It's not a burden I'd want to put on an exchequer.

                  As for the change in subscriptions, it makes the accounting easier at end of
                  year. It may take a while for some people to get used to it, but what's the
                  difference in sending a years subscription in Jan, vs August or April. If you
                  want to start a subscription in mid year you just pay the remaining portion
                  up front and a full year after that.

                  Mikhaila
                • MIKEnJUDYC@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
                    In a message dated 10/13/99 6:39:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    stacia2@... writes:

                    << Our mailing list seems to be growing at an alarming rate in the
                    last 2 months.

                    Katrina >>

                    That's because you are doing such a good job with the Salamander.
                    Thanks.

                    Mikhaila
                  • C&HWood
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
                      At 04:36 PM 10/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
                      >From: Timothy & Gabrielle Taylor <flyingbear@...>
                      >
                      >Last week at our last Baronial Business meeting, our Exchequer read some
                      >policy changes that were listed in a letter from the Regional Exchequer
                      >and I wondered what other people think. I know there was one in
                      >particular that everyone at the meeting had concerns about - namely,
                      >that no checks can be accepted at troll. Although it would be great if
                      >we could count on everyone coming to events with enough cash for troll,
                      >I think it would take quite awhile for people to get used to doing it,
                      >and we'd have a lot of unhappy attendees (and trolls) in the process.

                      My shire had many concerns with the wide-ranging changes as well. One
                      concern regarding the "no checks at Troll" rule was is it an enforceable
                      rule? If the event is allowed to accept checks in the mail, it would be
                      easy to circumvent the rule (not that I'm suggesting that's a good idea,
                      mind you). And really, my question is, why? A check will bounce (or not
                      bounce) depending on the owner's bank balance. Whether or not it was paid
                      a week before or the day of the event doesn't affect that. Personally, in
                      my 10+ years as an Autocrat and shire officer, I have seen very, very cases
                      of check-bouncing. Is this really such a problem that everyone who plans
                      to pay at the door with a check must be inconvenienced?

                      If there is a plan to stop accepting checks at all (which, if the reason
                      for the first rule is bouncing checks, seems possible), then we may as well
                      forget about pre-planning events. Very few people will want to go to the
                      trouble of getting a money order.

                      >As the local Chronicler, another policy that concerned me is that new
                      >newsletter subscriptions will be pro-rated to expire with the December
                      >issue. I'm having a hard enough time keeping a good subscriber base, if
                      >I counted on everyone to re-subscribe every December for the next year I
                      >know I'd lose a lot of subscriptions.

                      Actually, this is one change that I don't really disagree with. You'd be
                      surprised how much easier it is to get everyone renewing when they all have
                      to do it at the same time. The first couple of months will be awkward as
                      people get used to it, but it works out nicely eventually. Our chronicler
                      is already reminding people that subscription money will be due soon.

                      >Anyone else have thoughts on these issues?

                      I can't remember offhand some of the other changes I was concerned about.
                      What else has been changed?

                      Linette
                    • Bob & Nancy Upson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 13, 1999
                        > >Last week at our last Baronial Business meeting, our Exchequer read some
                        > >policy changes that were listed in a letter from the Regional Exchequer

                        Could someone clarify if this is just a Southern Region thing or if it
                        reflects a kingdom wide issue?

                        > >and I wondered what other people think. I know there was one in
                        > >particular that everyone at the meeting had concerns about - namely,
                        > >that no checks can be accepted at troll. Although it would be great if

                        The question that comes to my mind is, what business of anyone
                        but the event sponsor is it if checks are accepted?

                        Macsen
                        (in the Central Region)
                      • Jenne Heise
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                          On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 MIKEnJUDYC@... wrote:
                          > As for the change in subscriptions, it makes the accounting easier at end of
                          > year. It may take a while for some people to get used to it, but what's the
                          > difference in sending a years subscription in Jan, vs August or April. If you
                          > want to start a subscription in mid year you just pay the remaining portion
                          > up front and a full year after that.

                          Actually, when I first started as a deputy chronicler, that was the way we
                          did it. However, the chronicler found it was a major, major hassle, not
                          only the pro-rating but getting everyone to re-up at the end of the year.
                          So we changed to a regular subscription system instead. We found we got
                          more resubscriptions and were more able to get people to subscribe that
                          way.

                          If it really is enough hassle, there is a simple method for dealing with
                          it, though. Make your newsletter unofficial. Money for unofficial
                          newsletters doesn't go through an SCA checking account, and therefore you
                          can have what fiscal policies you like. *shrug*

                          "And let her loves, when she is dead, write this above her bones:
                          'No more she lives to give us bread, who asked her only stones.'"
                          "For a Sad Lady", Dorothy Parker
                        • Jenne Heise
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                            On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:
                            > Could someone clarify if this is just a Southern Region thing or if it
                            > reflects a kingdom wide issue?

                            *sigh* Well, has anyone asked William Fitzbubba about this? I don't have
                            his email address to hand, but he's the Kingdom Exchequer.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                              Oops. I forgot. I am required to include the disclaimer: "I do not speak
                              for Eisental."

                            • DRACONTIUS@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                                This is a Southern Regional issue and does not apply to the other regions.
                                Greatly appreciate the feed back I've been getting. Regards - Lorcan
                              • Emil Stecher
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                                  --- C&HWood <norseman@...> wrote:

                                  > mind you). And really, my question is, why? A
                                  > check will bounce (or not
                                  > bounce) depending on the owner's bank balance.
                                  > Whether or not it was paid
                                  > a week before or the day of the event doesn't affect
                                  > that.

                                  Ah, but it does affect whether the individual gets to
                                  attend the event. If they bounce a check prior to the
                                  event, you can deny them admittance, or make them pay
                                  cash for an at the door reservation plus whatever fees
                                  your bank charges you for processing rubber.

                                  > If there is a plan to stop accepting checks at all
                                  > (which, if the reason
                                  > for the first rule is bouncing checks, seems
                                  > possible), then we may as well
                                  > forget about pre-planning events.

                                  I think you are being overly severe here. I would
                                  think that the logical outcome of this policy would be
                                  that checks would not be accepted if there was not
                                  time for them to clear before the event (say 10 days).
                                  It seems to me this could actually be a boon to the
                                  autocrat, since it would force people to commit
                                  themselves at least two weeks in advance to attending
                                  an event, instead of sending a check the Thursday
                                  before the event and showing up expecting to eat
                                  onboard.

                                  Very few people
                                  > will want to go to the
                                  > trouble of getting a money order.

                                  True enough. There would be an obvious increase in at
                                  the door admissions, but under the circumstances,
                                  those
                                  folks will have to realize that they have no
                                  reasonable expectation of getting onboard, or
                                  obtaining entry to
                                  an event of limited size.

                                  Barak Raz
                                  (Emil M Stecher)
                                  (gwrgi@...)

                                  =====
                                • The Solomons
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                                    Thank you Mikhaila!

                                    Katrina

                                  • Mizzi@xxx.xxx
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                                      Greetings,

                                      I realize that rubber checkes presented at the troll can be a problem and we
                                      in AnDubh have been stung by it occasionally. OTOH enforcing a strict no
                                      checks at troll policy could easily backfire on us in the goodwill area.

                                      How much goodwill are we willing to lose by being so blatently untrusting?
                                      There are some merchants at Pennsic and elsewhere who I will never shop at
                                      again because they would refuse to even consider taking a check. I even have
                                      an automatic credit line atached to my checking account so I'd have to write
                                      a VERY BIG check to overdo it.

                                      The fact is that MOST people don't bounce checks and by punishing everyone
                                      for the faults of the few we are implying that everyone is untrustworthy.
                                      Collect ID from people who want to use checks, names, addresses & phone #'s.
                                      Most mundane merchants do. Make a special slow check-in line for checks if we
                                      must.

                                      In short, I think that checks, with appropriate info, should be possible at
                                      troll.

                                      In service,

                                      Mairgret of Carrigart
                                    • Bronwynmgn@xxx.xxx
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                                        In a message dated 10/13/99 6:39:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        stacia2@... writes:

                                        << I guess once you get to that point it would seem easier....but what about
                                        the new subscribers that want to start their subscriptions in October or
                                        November? Do you have them pay the prorate to the end of the year and the
                                        following year at the same time? I was under the impression from our
                                        exchequer that it causes bookkeeping problems. How have you handled this in
                                        the past? >>

                                        No matter when they start, the pay the prorate for the remainder of that
                                        year, and then pay the full rate for the next year. If you explain it as a
                                        required book-keeping procedure, most don't have a problem with it.

                                        Brangwayna
                                      • joseph lowe
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 14, 1999
                                          If a check is not accepted at troll the I don't go to events. If this is
                                          the policy how you going to pay you sca dues go buy a money order? not me.
                                          And if checks are not accepted local newsletters are out also. I pay by
                                          check, I do not carry cash.
                                          stifhand.

                                          ----------
                                          > From: Mizzi@...
                                          > To: EKSouth@onelist.com
                                          > Subject: Re: [EKSouth] New Exchequer policies, no checks at troll
                                          > Date: Thursday, October 14, 1999 6:23 PM
                                          >
                                          > From: Mizzi@...
                                          >
                                          > Greetings,
                                          >
                                          > I realize that rubber checkes presented at the troll can be a problem and
                                          we
                                          > in AnDubh have been stung by it occasionally. OTOH enforcing a strict no
                                          > checks at troll policy could easily backfire on us in the goodwill area.
                                          >
                                          > How much goodwill are we willing to lose by being so blatently
                                          untrusting?
                                          > There are some merchants at Pennsic and elsewhere who I will never shop
                                          at
                                          > again because they would refuse to even consider taking a check. I even
                                          have
                                          > an automatic credit line atached to my checking account so I'd have to
                                          write
                                          > a VERY BIG check to overdo it.
                                          >
                                          > The fact is that MOST people don't bounce checks and by punishing
                                          everyone
                                          > for the faults of the few we are implying that everyone is untrustworthy.

                                          > Collect ID from people who want to use checks, names, addresses & phone
                                          #'s.
                                          > Most mundane merchants do. Make a special slow check-in line for checks
                                          if we
                                          > must.
                                          >
                                          > In short, I think that checks, with appropriate info, should be possible
                                          at
                                          > troll.
                                          >
                                          > In service,
                                          >
                                          > Mairgret of Carrigart

                                        • Emil Stecher
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 15, 1999
                                            --- joseph lowe <stifhand@...> wrote:
                                            > If a check is not accepted at troll the I don't go
                                            > to events.

                                            Well, you could mail your reservation in advance...

                                            If this is
                                            > the policy how you going to pay you sca dues go buy
                                            > a money order? not me.

                                            I don't understand why a policy of paying cash at the
                                            gate for admission to events would keep you from
                                            paying for your membership by check

                                            > And if checks are not accepted local newsletters are
                                            > out also. I pay by
                                            > check, I do not carry cash.

                                            Nobody said you couldn't pay for your newsletter by
                                            check. The regional exchequer has suggested that
                                            newsletter subscriptions run January to December to
                                            make bookkeeping easier. Different issue entirely.
                                            Please read more carefully before responding.

                                            Barak Raz
                                            (Emil M Stecher)
                                            (gwrgi@...)

                                            =====
                                          • joseph lowe
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 16, 1999
                                              If checks are not accepted at events I will not go. Now if I'm not going to
                                              events, I do not need local news letters, and if the before is true then I
                                              do not need to pay dues.
                                              Please follow my thought here. If checks are not accepted at events, they
                                              wont be for pre-registration a check is a check there is no difference in
                                              prereg. or at the door. If this policy goes to law the next to follow is
                                              news letters and then dues.
                                              Now heres a thought for you find out how many checks are written for events
                                              in a years time, include pensic. Find out how many checks have bounced and
                                              how many have been made good after bouncing. Then a look at not accepting
                                              checks may be warranted

                                              ----------

                                            • CahanKyle@xxx.xxx
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 17, 1999
                                                In a message dated 10/14/99 8:09:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Mizzi@...
                                                writes:

                                                << In short, I think that checks, with appropriate info, should be possible
                                                at
                                                troll. >>

                                                I agree. In all the years Montevale has taken checks at troll, since I have
                                                been there, we have only ever had one problem, and she contacted us to let us
                                                know there was a problem and fixed with in two weeks after the event.

                                                I thinks this policy is the wrong way to go and it could backfire.

                                                Kyle
                                              • Jenne Heise
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 1, 1999
                                                  On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 Bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                                                  > No matter when they start, the pay the prorate for the remainder of that
                                                  > year, and then pay the full rate for the next year. If you explain it as a
                                                  > required book-keeping procedure, most don't have a problem with it.

                                                  Question: Since I haven't seen this policy myself, I'mwondering. does
                                                  Lorcan's new policy for Southern Region Chroniclers allow them to collet
                                                  and hold monies for next year's subscriptions in the current year?

                                                  Disclaimer: I don't speak for Eisental, and nobody in Eisental speaks for me.

                                                  "But the world is cold. For me, the warm places are few and far between."
                                                  -- Charles DeLint, _Someplace to Be Flying_