Are you interested in retaining at Pennsic?

  • Victoria Appleman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
      Please forward to any interested lists or individuals:

      Greetings!

      War is approaching quickly and I am seeking anyone who is interested in retaining for Their Majesties during Pennsic!

      In order to put together a preliminary schedule before the war, I am asking that anyone interested indicate their availability using an online sign up sheet here: http://vols.pt/uKPVyR

      Please keep a few things in mind as you are signing up:

      1.  You are not signing up for specific shifts-- I will be using this information to build a schedule and will contact you with your scheduled shift and more information.  This is only so that I can better organize when volunteers are available, and as such, there is no limit to how many people can sign up in each slot.  (The actual shifts will be approx 3 hours long in staggered blocks.)

      2.  Please put your email address and not your phone number where it asks for phone number.  I will be sending out all information (including the retaining schedule) by email before Pennsic starts.  (If you do not hear from me by July 20th, please email me directly and let me know)

      3.  If you have any special concerns (or would like to ensure you are scheduled along side someone else specific) please feel free to put that information in the comments section.

      4.  If you prefer, you can email me directly to talk about availability or to schedule a shift-- please put Pennsic Retaining in the subject field.

      5. I am looking for anyone who is interested, and this includes anyone who
      may be new to retaining or interested in trying it out for the first
      time-- if this will be your first time retaining, please just let me
      know and I will pair you with someone who can help guide you through it!

      If you have any questions, please contact me, and if you are unable to sign up before Pennsic begins, I will have a book with all available shifts at the hospitality tent in East Kingdom Royal, please stop by and sign up for when you are able.

      Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you all at War!

      Isabelle
      (Head Lady in Waiting to Their Majesties)

    • Victoria Appleman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
        Greetings again!

        I have gotten the question a few times about what exactly a retainer does-- the quick answer is the following:

        As a retainer or a lady in waiting, you serve many roles.
        You are an extra set of eyes, ears, and hands for the royalty, often
        carrying the things They need to have with them, as well as writing notes of
        things They need to remember.  Your
        primary job is to make sure that They have food and drink, They are where They
        need to be on time, and that everything They might need to remember is written
        down.

        A longer answer can be found here: http://isabellesgarb.wordpress.com/category/retaining-101/

        If you are interested in a more detailed answer, please contact me and I would be happy to answer any questions.

        ~Isabelle

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2013
          Greetings!

          As of this afternoon, I believe I have individually contacted everyone who expressed interest in retaining in order to schedule and confirm shifts during War.  If you expressed interest and have not heard from me sometime over the past few days to confirm shifts, please double check your inbox and then send me a message.  I have not intentionally left anyone off of the schedule, and so my apologies if I have missed anyone.

          If you are still interested in retaining, there ARE shifts available.  Until next Friday, please either email me or stop by EK Royal to sign up for a shift.  Starting next Friday, I will not be checking email as often, but you can still stop by EK Royal at anytime to sign up for a shift.

          Thanks!
          ~Isabelle

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2013
            Please pass this email along to any and all interested lists.

            The East Kingdom University is proud to be sponsoring a service university on November 23rd in the Barony of Stonemarche!

            This event will be dedicated to presenting classes about the things that make our society and kingdom function. Potential topics include classes on essential jobs at all levels of the SCA, from local group officers and event staff, to kingdom offices and beyond. Classes on leadership, mentoring, and teaching in the SCA are also welcome topics. If it is an activity that can be seen as providing a Service to the kingdom or those around you, we are interested in hosting a class, panel, or roundtable discussion about the topic.  (The website for this event is
            http://ekserviceuniversity.wordpress.com/ and you can find it on Facebook under "EKU Service University")

            We are currently seeking teachers and class suggestions for this university!  Are you an officer at any level who could teach the ins and outs of your office?  Do you love to run events, gate, the kitchen, water bearing, dancing, fight practices, fencing tournaments, or any of the other great activities that make our Society wonderful, and would like to show others how to do so as well?  Please contact me with the topics you'd like to teach.

            Also, if you have a class or roundtable that you'd like to see at the university, but are unable to teach it yourself, please let me know and we will try to coordinate it.

            Thanks!
            ~Isabelle
            Chancellor of the East Kingdom University