When Traveling With a Hitch.....

  • silveroak@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2013
      Greetings,

      As Pennsic approaches, please be careful at rest stops.

      Thieves are targeting vehicles with hitches. I'd heard about the warnings, but I experienced it last month when traveling on the PA turnpike. I stayed at the vehicles - I like keeping at least one person at the vehicle(s) when I'm traveling anyway - and no less than 4 vehicles came speeding into the rest stop, and tried to park in the only space between the cars and the larger vehicle with the hitch. *I* was in that space, and when they finally saw me, they took off at top speed. There were plenty of other parking spaces around, so it was pretty obvious by the second try that we were being targeted.

      As extra certainty, I watched as they came in off the highway, tried to park right between us, then took off towards the highway again without stopping at the rest stop.

      Four vehicles attempting to do this in a half hour is troubling, so please be careful when traveling, especially to Pennsic.

      Feel free to forward this message to others who may need this information.

      -Carowyn

      BlackBerry® 10
      Find out more about the new BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51afb7c44a51f37c429best01duc
    • Dierk zem Grauen Wolf
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2013
        I'd say it is far more likely that it was the vehicle type being targeted
        and not the fact that it has a trailer hitch, if that was even what was
        happening. I seriously doubt anyone would steal a trailer hitch. After all
        it's only like a $40 part. I travel all over with a hitch and never once
        have noticed behavior anywhere near what you describe. If you're that
        worried about the hitch, pull the pin and toss it in the back seat when not
        in use (which you should do anyway to keep it from rusting in place). Where
        have you heard these "warnings", and were they from a reputable, verifiable
        source? If not, they are just rumors and likely unfounded. I did a quick
        search and can find nothing on this rumor.

      • silveroak@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2013
          Not the hitch itself - the trailer that's hitched to another vehicle. Sorry, I'm regional - we call the trailer a hitch.

          -Carowyn

          I'd say it is far more likely that it was the vehicle type being targeted
          and not the fact that it has a trailer hitch, if that was even what was
          happening. I seriously doubt anyone would steal a trailer hitch. After all
          it's only like a $40 part. I travel all over with a hitch and never once
          have noticed behavior anywhere near what you describe. If you're that
          worried about the hitch, pull the pin and toss it in the back seat when not
          in use (which you should do anyway to keep it from rusting in place). Where
          have you heard these "warnings", and were they from a reputable, verifiable
          source? If not, they are just rumors and likely unfounded. I did a quick
          search and can find nothing on this rumor.

          BlackBerry® 10
          Get the latest details on the new BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/51b0c4b15852644b10f2fst02duc