Crossing Borders: Manuscripts from the Bodleian Libraries

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2012
      Crossing Borders: Manuscripts from the Bodleian Libraries
      September 14, 2012 - February 03, 2013

      http://www.thejewishmuseum.org/exhibitions/bodleian-medieval-manuscripts

      Crossing Borders features a superb selection of some sixty Hebrew,
      Latin, and Arabic manuscripts from the University of Oxford's
      Bodleian Libraries, one of the world's richest collections of
      manuscripts and printed books related to medieval European Jewish
      culture. The manuscripts, many of them exquisitely illuminated,
      illustrate the fertile exchanges among Christians, Muslims, and Jews
      in the fields of religion, art, science, and literature. Included is
      one of the Bodleian's greatest treasures: the magnificent Kennicott
      Bible. Many of the works in the exhibition are on view in the United
      States for the first time.

      Update from a friend who attended the exhibition yesterday:
      >I went, I saw, I was amazed. It's not a humonguous exhibit, three
      >rooms, but there are fascinating examples of manuscript books,
      >including two in Maimonodes' own hand. A treatise on Euclid, in
      >Latin, Hebrew and Arabic, with the same diagrams. And yes, there is
      >a large book that goes with it, and I also saw a book in the Gifte
      >Shoppe about illuminated manuscripts. And you may take photos, just
      >not flash photos.
      >Get the word out to the SCA... This exhibit is on loan until January 2013.

      Mithgiladan