Fwd: [EK-announce] BoD Announcement re: Membership Costs

  • Pamela Herbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2011
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Kay White <katryne@...>
      Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:05:18 -0500
      Subject: [EK-announce] BoD Announcement re: Membership Costs
      To: EK announce <sca-east-announce@...>, ekchroniclers@yahoogroups.com

      Good morning to all,

      Below is an announcement from the Board of Directors regarding
      membership costs. Please redistribute where appropriate.

      If you have any questions or concerns, kindly submit them through
      comments@....

      Your servant,
      Katerine
      EK Chronicler

      -=-=-
      Given the realities of both member needs and SCA expenses, there have
      been, and continue to be, discussions about how to meet both in ways
      that give us more options as members and as a corporation. Sensitive
      as we try to be to member concerns about rising membership costs,
      maintaining current levels in one area means that there must be
      adjustments and adaptations in others. After careful consideration, we
      have determined that there will be no increase in membership fees in
      2012. Instead, the Sustaining and International membership fees will
      include full access to SCA Newsletters Online with all kingdom
      newsletters (excluding Lochac who uses a separate e-newsletter
      system), an excerpt from Tournaments Illuminated and the inter-kingdom
      directory in place of a printed copy of a kingdom newsletter.

      Those members who prefer to continue receiving a printed newsletter
      will need to pay a separate subscription fee, in addition to their SCA
      membership fee. The price of a subscription for a printed newsletter
      will be $30 per year for US third class mail, $35 for US first class
      mail, $40 for Canadian mail, and $50 for airmail (all countries except
      US and Canada). As you can well imagine, working to predict the number
      of members who will opt only for e-newsletters has been of great
      concern and at this time these dollar amounts are our best projection
      of actual costs.

      The new pricing will take effect on January 1, 2012 (with the first
      kingdom e-newsletters being available March 1), but please know that
      all current paper subscriptions will be honored, no matter if your
      membership is up for renewal in three months or three years. We do
      hope that many of you will choose to opt out of paper when that option
      becomes available on January 1, but we realize that online access to
      your kingdom newsletter simply is not a viable option for all.

      Since our announcement of e-newsletters, many have worked to assure
      this transition happens as smoothly as possible. We would like to
      thank the kingdom chroniclers who have worked both to incorporate and
      disseminate information about these changes, as well as the Society
      officers who have worked tirelessly on this project.

      If you have any questions or concerns, please submit them through
      comments@....

      The SCA Board of Directors

      “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people
      and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
      know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
      to have succeeded.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

      The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing
      you will make one.
      Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)