Middle Eastern/Persian/Indian personas?

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 14, 2011
      Are there are shires out there with Middle Eastern/Persian/Indian personas out there that I can hang around with on an occasional basis and talk to about costuming, armor, etc?
    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
        <<Are there are shires out there with Middle Eastern/Persian/Indian personas out there that I can hang around with on an occasional basis and talk to about costuming, armor, etc?>>

      • Alissa Pyrich
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
          There aren't any local groups that specialize in Middle
          Eastern/Persian, but there definitely are some people
          who do.  Where do you live?

          > <EKSouth@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   > > >

          > <<Are there are shires out there with Middle Eastern/Persian/Indian
          > personas out there that I can hang around with on
          > an occasional basis and talk to about costuming, armor,
          > etc?>>

        • Gregory
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
            I live in Exton (Chester County).

            --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, Alissa Pyrich <apyrich@...> wrote:

            > There aren't any local groups that specialize in Middle
            > Eastern/Persian, but there definitely are some people
            > who do.  Where do you live?
            >

            > > <EKSouth@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   > > >
            >

            > > <<Are there are shires out there with Middle Eastern/Persian/Indian
            > > personas out there that I can hang around with on
            > > an occasional basis and talk to about costuming, armor,
            > > etc?>>

          • christianetrue
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
              As has been previously said, there are some individuals you can talk to. Sayyid Jibril in Bhakail can definitely give you tips on armor and costuming for the Middle Eastern persona. For Persian male garb, you can talk with Master Rashid (he's in Iron Bog and doesn't really play much these days, but has lots of information about costuming that he would share). Mistress Khatife, also in Iron Bog, knows a great deal about Persian and Turkish costuming and armor.

              For Indian garb and arms and armor, there are some people in Hartshorn-dale who can probably give you more information (Theridion and Anneliese, though I can't remember the South Indian persona names that they have picked).

              Those are the people that I know personally. I know a little bit, but am much more familiar with the Normans in the hybrid culture of 12th century Sicily and what they picked up from Fatimid Egypt and the Byzantines.

              YIS,
              Adelisa Salernitana

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 15, 2011
                Thanks for the info Adelisa, I'll hit them up for info.
                I'm really looking to find a helmet like the one Aisharya Rai had in "The Last Legion" (the Indian girl), but I am not even sure it could work since it had no face covering except for chainmail.

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                  Shire of Hartshorndale, then. If you go to eastkingdom.org and look them up under the group locater, they can put you in touch with any local folks who have similar interests.

                  Brangwayna Morgan
                  Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                  Lancaster and Lebanon County, PA.

                  > There aren't any local groups that specialize in Middle
                  > Eastern/Persian, but there definitely are some people
                  > who do. Where do you live?

                  > > <EKSouth@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Â > > >
                  >

                  > > <<Are there are shires out there with Middle Eastern/Persian/Indian
                  > > personas out there that I can hang around with on
                  > > an occasional basis and talk to about costuming, armor,
                  > > etc?>>

                • Alison Choyce
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                    Already put him in touch with folks. :)
                    ~Alison
                    EK Chatelaine and Hartshorn-dale resident

                    On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM, <bronwynmgn@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Shire of Hartshorndale, then. If you go to eastkingdom.org and look them
                    > up under the group locater, they can put you in touch with any local folks
                    > who have similar interests.
                    >
                    > Brangwayna Morgan
                    > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                    > Lancaster and Lebanon County, PA.

                    ~Alison

                  • christianetrue
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                      --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the info Adelisa, I'll hit them up for info.
                      > I'm really looking to find a helmet like the one Aisharya Rai had in "The Last Legion" (the Indian girl), but I am not even sure it could work since it had no face covering except for chainmail.

                      You're welcome, and I see Alison has already put you in touch with the folks I am thinking of.

                      You also may want to join this group and introduce yourself:

                      There are a LOT of resources in the files section and a ton of helpful people.

                      YIS,
                      Adelisa
                    • Gregory
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                        Thanks Brangwayna. I already have their site bookmarked.

                        --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

                        > Shire of Hartshorndale, then. If you go to eastkingdom.org and look them up under the group locater, they can put you in touch with any local folks who have similar interests.
                        >
                        > Brangwayna Morgan
                        > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                        > Lancaster and Lebanon County, PA.

                      • Gregory
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                          oo SCA India..
                          are there actually East Indian people in the SCA?

                          --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "christianetrue" <christianetrue@...> wrote:

                          > --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <armyfrenchy@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the info Adelisa, I'll hit them up for info.
                          > > I'm really looking to find a helmet like the one Aisharya Rai had in "The Last Legion" (the Indian girl), but I am not even sure it could work since it had no face covering except for chainmail.
                          > >
                          > You're welcome, and I see Alison has already put you in touch with the folks I am thinking of.
                          >
                          > You also may want to join this group and introduce yourself:

                          > There are a LOT of resources in the files section and a ton of helpful people.
                          >
                          > YIS,
                          > Adelisa

                        • Alison Choyce
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                            Yep, there are. That's one of my alternate cultures. And there are others in
                            Hartshorn-dale who do much research with Indian persona's.
                            On Aug 16, 2011 4:29 PM, "Gregory" <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:

                            > oo SCA India..
                            > are there actually East Indian people in the SCA?
                            >
                            > --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "christianetrue" <christianetrue@...>
                            wrote:

                            >> --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <armyfrenchy@> wrote:
                            >> >
                            >> > Thanks for the info Adelisa, I'll hit them up for info.
                            >> > I'm really looking to find a helmet like the one Aisharya Rai had in
                            "The Last Legion" (the Indian girl), but I am not even sure it could work
                            since it had no face covering except for chainmail.

                            >> You're welcome, and I see Alison has already put you in touch with the
                            folks I am thinking of.

                            >> You also may want to join this group and introduce yourself:

                            >> There are a LOT of resources in the files section and a ton of helpful
                            people.

                            >> YIS,
                            >> Adelisa

                          • Gregory
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 16, 2011
                              No I meant are there REAL Indian people in the SCA? as in people actually from India (I've never seen any).

                              --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, Alison Choyce <greenfaere@...> wrote:

                              > Yep, there are. That's one of my alternate cultures. And there are others in
                              > Hartshorn-dale who do much research with Indian persona's.
                              > On Aug 16, 2011 4:29 PM, "Gregory" <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > oo SCA India..
                              > > are there actually East Indian people in the SCA?
                              > >
                              > > --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "christianetrue" <christianetrue@>
                              > wrote:

                              > "The Last Legion" (the Indian girl), but I am not even sure it could work
                              > since it had no face covering except for chainmail.
                              > >> >
                              > >> You're welcome, and I see Alison has already put you in touch with the
                              > folks I am thinking of.
                              > >>
                              > >> You also may want to join this group and introduce yourself:

                              > >> There are a LOT of resources in the files section and a ton of helpful
                              > people.
                              > >>
                              > >> YIS,
                              > >> Adelisa

                            • christianetrue
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
                                --- In EKSouth@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory" <armyfrenchy@...> wrote:

                                > No I meant are there REAL Indian people in the SCA? as in people actually from India (I've never seen any).

                                I don't know any personally, but when al-Hafla was in Buckland Cross, a young man from Kerala showed up. He wasn't in the SCA, but had come out for the music and dancing. He wound up talking with Mokan and Ariyanangai; he had recognized that their saris were wrapped in the southern style, and they talked for quite some time, I understand.

                                I do know Indian people involved in sci-fi and fantasy fandom and cosplay, so it may just be a matter of time before they "find" us.

                                But on another topic, I now want to see "The Last Legion." Colin Firth and Aishwarya Rai? Sign me up!

                                YIS,
                                Adelisa
                              • CHRISTOPHER R. BOGS
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
                                  I know we have at least one member locally (Philly & environs) who is from
                                  India.

                                  Christoph

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
                                    cool. I bet he'd be a good person to ask about Indian history/armor then...

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 17, 2011
                                      yes you have to see that movie the fight scenes are awesome, especially if you want to learn Indian style fighting. Aishwarya Rai is gorgeous (I lust for her....)
                                      I have it on hard drive if you want I can burn a copy for you and mail it to you.