      From: EKSouth@yahoogroups.com [mailto:EKSouth@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      Albrecht
      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:53 PM
      To: EKSouth@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [EKSouth] Changes to the Amror Standards

      Actually the toast belongs to the King's champion...it's a challenge.
      If the champion isn't present, then it falls to the senior peer present.

      Albrecht

      My understanding of the tradition

      Joel Doner wrote:
      > Taranach:
      >
      > If I have slighted you by what I have said about knowing Eastern
      traditions, I apologize. If the Peers and older members of our Kingdom have
      not been communicating these traditions and cultural values, then we have
      failed, not you.

      > Many of the traditions and values that are passed down in the SCA are
      through the many Teacher/Student relationships, ie Knight/Squire,
      Laurel/Apprentice, Don/Cadet, etc. Much of what I have learned was from my
      former Knight, my Pelican and thier peers.

      > Some of what I learned was from standing in the back of the common tent,
      watching and listening to those who were here before me. Sometimes, someone
      would flat out tell me I made a fau paux and told me according to tradition
      what I should have been doing, or not been doing. I learn things all the
      time from others simply by talking to people who have been here longer or
      know more than me. And there are plenty of people who do. There are many
      things we learn in life that are not written, but they are still important.
      Sometimes we learn them by playing in the sandbox with others.

      > When I say I could not give justice to them in this forum, I ment that. It
      took me years of living in the East to learn them and I am still learning.
      Here are some examples of Eastern traditions and cultural values that are
      not in writing; the highest ranking peer at a feast gets the honor of
      toasting the K&Q, then we go down the line to the next highest ranking peer
      for the toast to P&P, Cooks, etc. It is tradition for a peer to serve High
      Table whenever possible. Unlike some of the Western Kingdoms we do not bow
      infront of empty throwns of the Royalty. None of this is in writing, but
      these things are important to the identity of the East Kingdom.

      > As for the validity of my arguments in this case, whether you agree with
      them or not, I think I have made my points clear including those on Eastern
      tradition. I disagree that all of these things need to be written to have
      weight in the discussion. And just because no one took the time to tell you
      what they were, doesen't lessen their importance in this discussion, or make
      them unworthy of consideration. The point is that tradition and values are
      more then the written policies or laws of the Society or of the Kingdom, but
      they do have value.

      <mailto:jmdoner%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

      >> Fairfax:
      >>
      >> I am not mocking you when I say, I feel bad that after 15 years you have
      >> not seen what I am talking about. That you do not know the SCA I have
      >> experienced over these many years. We don't codify tradition and our
      >> values. We shouldn't have to because they are not laws. They are part of
      our
      >> culture. I cannot give you all of these ideas or do justice to these
      >> concepts in a few sentences or in this forum. I will try to give an
      >> example.
      >>
      >> I was taught one of those unwritten truths is that Kingdoms were the
      heart
      >> and soul of the SCA. That each Kingdom is unique and should be allowed to
      >> express it's character in its own way. We as with other Kingdoms take
      pride
      >> in our culture. Eventhough Aethelmarc, Atlantia and Drachenwald all came
      >> from the East, each of them was allowed to create their own traditions,
      >> customs and policies rergardless of how we or the others Kingdoms felt.
      >> When each of these Kingdoms were created, there was never an idea that
      they
      >> would have to keep any of the Eastern traditions they had when they were
      >> part of our Kingdom.
      >>
      >> I probably did not do justice to this idea, but I hope you get the
      general
      >> gist.
      >>
      >> Lawrence
      >>

      >> --- On Sun, 5/2/10, Bob Davis <bob@...
      <mailto:bob%40reconstructinghistory.com> <bob%40reconstructinghistory.com>>

      database 5083 (20100503) __________

      http://www.eset.com