      From: "Jeffrey Blaisdell" <jdb967@...>
      To: "SCA Njord Dalr" <sca-njord-dalr@yahoogroups.com>; "Rusted Woodlands"
      <RWoodlands@yahoogroups.com>; "Northern Army"
      <northern_army@yahoogroups.com>; "EKsouth" <EKsouth@yahoogroups.com>;
      "E-K-North" <e-k-north@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 5:44 AM
      Subject: [EKSouth] some jousting history

      > Greetings, All,
      >
      > The following is another item from my weekly History Book Club newsletter.
      Thought it would interest you. Not sure about the comment on mobility at the
      end, though.

      > Geoffrey of Bleasdale
      >

      > Jousting: A Deadly Sport in the Age of Chivalry
      >
      > Although much romanticized in film and literature, medieval jousting was
      in fact a serious and deadly event in which heavily armored knights mounted
      horses and rode at one another with 14-foot wooden lances aimed for the
      heart. In one 11th-century jousting tournament alone, 60 knights died, and
      in another a father tragically killed his son. First held in ancient Rome,
      jousting tournaments were revived in the 11th century as a way for knights
      to hone their fighting skills during peacetime.

      > In preparation for warfare, medieval knights engaged in mock battles
      called "melees," which pitted one band of knights jousting against another
      in an open field. This form of jousting was the most brutal of all.
      Participants rushed at each other, using any means possible to knock an
      opponent out of the saddle, which was specially designed with a foot-high
      back to prevent just this. A knight's armor could weigh up to 50 pounds, and
      together with the undergarments it made jousting in the summer months an
      excruciating experience.

      > It was not long before this form of military training became an immensely
      popular sport and the mainstay of medieval tournaments. Competition grew
      fiercer and bloodier--and even profitable, as a champion jouster might
      commandeer the loser's horse and armor or even hold him for ransom. Dismayed
      by the carnage, the Church eventually banned the sport in the 11th century
      and declared, "Those who fall in tourneys will go to hell."

      > By the mid-13th century, however, jousting had returned. It was more
      popular than ever, but with significant changes. In these "pleasure jousts,"
      the knights' wooden lances were dulled and made thinner so they would snap
      on contact. A successful joust resulted in the spectacular splintering of
      lances without injury to either knight. Eventually, knights aimed their
      lances not at each other but at rings suspended from poles. A knight was
      judged by his ability to control a powerful, charging horse while
      manipulating a lance, with vision and movement severely restricted by the
      armor he wore.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic