Suggestion

  • Asparagirl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2001
      Great program! Some suggestions, though...

      For my name "Schreier", and for names like it, could you please list
      permuations swapping "SCH..." for "SH..." (and vice versa)?

      Also, could you add more options for searching by ethnicity, etc., to
      the searching by gender options?

      Also, a link within the program (somewhere- maybe in a pull-down menu
      at the top of the screen?) to Stephen Morse's page, the front page of
      the EIDB, and to a D-M Soundex generator page (I think JewishGen has
      one) would be helpful.

      Thanks, and keep up the good work!

      - Brooke Schreier
    • Edward Rosenbaum
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2001
        Brooke,

        You wrote ...

        "Also, a link within the program (somewhere- maybe in a pull-down menu
        at the top of the screen?) to Stephen Morse's page, the front page of
        the EIDB"

        I do have this.  Once you enter your name and search criteria, and press "Refine your search...", you will get two buttons on the bottom labeled "View links to the Ellis Island Database" and "View links to 'Searching the Ellis Island Database in one Step'".  Click the "View links to the Ellis Island Database" and get a customized web page with links from every spelling variation to the Ellis Island website.  Click the "View links to 'Searching the Ellis Island Database in one Step'" and get a customized web page with links for every spelling to Stephen Morse's webpage.  On Steve's page you can fill in the ethnicity.

        -Edward