Stem Cell Research and Exploitation

  • inakhla1
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2009
      Dear members

      I apologize for not posting the message yesterday as my router is not happy and disconnects every five minutes. Hopefully, it behaves better now!

      Thank you all for the participation in the discussion of the last weeks either through the website or face to face. And thanks to Dr. Nadia as the question she raised was helpful for some of us during their IRB meetings and the opinions of all of you helped us during our review process!

      Yesterday, ON O TV, (a documentary channel on the Egyptian satellite TV) they were showing a program about embryonic stem cell research. The program was in French with Arabic subtitles. The research was conducted in a "five stars" facility" where rich people had to pay for the procedures, while the poor were allowed to participate (enroll)for free. The host was asking the scientist who is pioneering the research in his country whether this was exploitation to the poor, to do the research on them while the drug is too expensive for them to buy. It has been around 20 years that they are trying to make the drugs cheaper, but could not yet. The response of the scientist was that the poor are receiving a drug that is working well, and they are receiving it for free, which is an opportunity for them to be cured.

      Please, dear members of the group, share with us what you think about both points of view?

      Regards,

      Isabelle
    • Diaa Marzouk
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2009
        Dear Isabell,
        Thankyou very much for the challenging topics u send, but I need to ask what is the objective of the study and what is he going to treat, which disease.
        My comment that the scientist needs to attend a training course in research ethics

        Best regards
        Diaa Marzouk
        Prof of Public Health
        Faculty of Medicine
        Ain Shams University
        Cairo, Egypt
        Certified trainer of
        Health Research Ethics
        University of Maryland USA
        Mobile: 002-0101994689

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
          Dear Dr. Diaa

          I really enjoy your straight to the point opinions.

          Would you please elaborate on why you think " the scientist needs to attend a training course in research ethics"?

          Best regards,

          Isabelle

          --- In EGYPTIAN_RECS@yahoogroups.com, Diaa Marzouk <diaamarzouk@...> wrote:

          > Dear Isabell,
          > Thankyou very much for the challenging topics u send, but I need to ask what is the objective of the study and what is he going to treat, which disease.
          > My comment that the scientist needs to attend a training course in research ethics
          >
          > Best regards
          > Diaa Marzouk
          > Prof of Public Health
          > Faculty of Medicine
          > Ain Shams University
          > Cairo, Egypt
          > Certified trainer of
          > Health Research Ethics
          > University of Maryland USA
          > Mobile: 002-0101994689

        • Henry Silverman
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
            Isabelle: could I post this question for the discussion forum for the Members of Research Ethics Committees on the www. menareti.net site?

            >>> "inakhla1" <inakhla@...> 4/6/2009 5:57 PM >>>
            Dear Dr. Diaa

            I really enjoy your straight to the point opinions.

            Would you please elaborate on why you think " the scientist needs to attend a training course in research ethics"?

            Best regards,

            Isabelle

            --- In EGYPTIAN_RECS@yahoogroups.com, Diaa Marzouk <diaamarzouk@...> wrote:

            > Dear Isabell,
            > Thankyou very much for the challenging topics u send, but I need to ask what is the objective of the study and what is he going to treat, which disease.
            > My comment that the scientist needs to attend a training course in research ethics
            >
            > Best regards
            > Diaa Marzouk
            > Prof of Public Health
            > Faculty of Medicine
            > Ain Shams University
            > Cairo, Egypt
            > Certified trainer of
            > Health Research Ethics
            > University of Maryland USA
            > Mobile: 002-0101994689

            Confidentiality Statement:
            This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
          • hanysafwat8
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
              Dear members

              I think the frame of the study is reasonable

              We have poor patients, who can access a new research with new hope and rich patient who, can afford to have an extra risk but here is just financial risk (consider minimal risk for him)

              This what we called fair chance to access research

              The question here is the details of recruitment and randomization is that fair or not
              "The Devil Is In The Details"

              Is the same procedure applied on the rich and the poor?
              • No more risky procedure
              • Same success rate
              • No extra blood sample or more ovum donations
              Is there is any community or governmental monitoring "transparency"

              Regards,

              Hany
            • Azza Saleh
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
                Thank you dear Isabelle for the posted question of this week :)

                I want to ask :

                1- did they mention how many the percentage of poor to rich participating in the study ? i.e. is the opportunity of offering the drug for free resulted in more poor to participate ?

                2- How they measure the level of finances of the participating persons ....some rich dont like to pay when it is afforded for others for free !! I mean this research can result in exploitation of persons irrelevant of their financial level as they may also be able to pay for sometime but not able to maintain.

                Waiting for our dear members replies on this important issue,

                Regards,

                Azza

                --- In EGYPTIAN_RECS@yahoogroups.com, "inakhla1" <inakhla@...> wrote:

                > Dear members
                >
                > I apologize for not posting the message yesterday as my router is not happy and disconnects every five minutes. Hopefully, it behaves better now!
                >
                > Thank you all for the participation in the discussion of the last weeks either through the website or face to face. And thanks to Dr. Nadia as the question she raised was helpful for some of us during their IRB meetings and the opinions of all of you helped us during our review process!
                >
                > Yesterday, ON O TV, (a documentary channel on the Egyptian satellite TV) they were showing a program about embryonic stem cell research. The program was in French with Arabic subtitles. The research was conducted in a "five stars" facility" where rich people had to pay for the procedures, while the poor were allowed to participate (enroll)for free. The host was asking the scientist who is pioneering the research in his country whether this was exploitation to the poor, to do the research on them while the drug is too expensive for them to buy. It has been around 20 years that they are trying to make the drugs cheaper, but could not yet. The response of the scientist was that the poor are receiving a drug that is working well, and they are receiving it for free, which is an opportunity for them to be cured.
                >
                > Please, dear members of the group, share with us what you think about both points of view?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Isabelle

              • Diaa Marzouk
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
                  Dear Isabelle,
                  I emphasize that the the scientist needs to attend a training course in research ethics as his  response that the poor are receiving a drug that is working well, as he has no idea that the participants could have a better  opportunity to be have the new expensive drug during the study  and after its end, that might or might not be better than the drug they are taking already

                  Best regards
                  Diaa Marzouk
                  Prof of Public Health
                  Faculty of Medicine