??False coauthorship!!!!

  • Salah Abdelmonem
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2009
      Dear group members
      I have benn honoured by being a member of the REC group. I have been watching the exchange of opinion between the members. Today, I am changing my stance from a recipient passive observer to a one of active participation.
      I was consulted, a few days ago, about an incident that happened in an insitute, where the ethics committee is still not in control 100%. A research was conducted in another country, on material from that country ,using equipment at the research place and the author published the research article and added the names of his colleagues from his own mother country as a compliment. The added coauthors have never been in the country where the research was carried out.
      Is it enough to write down the paper or participate in the expenses of publishing to become a coauthor...I think not. It is a sort of misconduct.
      I would like to have your opinion and suggestions for the action(s) to be taken by those who are concerned: Institute, High council of universities, colleagues, Institute where the research was done, etc..
      Looking forward to your reply.
      Salah Abdelmonem
      Prof of Clinical Oncology
      Alexandria Faculty of Medicine

    • nadia zaki
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2009
        Dear Prof. Salah. dear all,

                I have the honour to introduce Prof. Salah Abdelmonem, one of the imminent oncolgists at our Faculty and he is much interested in clinical research & reasearch ethics.

               The problem he is addressing is not uncommon especially in researches published for promotion. Colleagues used to add the names of each other on papers  which they have never contributed to  and sometimes the added persons are outside the country e.g., working in the Gulf countries and coming to Egypt just to submit their papers for promotion and after that they return to their work abroad. Some of them just pay money to help publication and indeed they didn't know anything about the work.

               As we know, most of the journals necessitate the submission of the ethical clearance document of the research which is obtained, of course, prior to initiation of any study-relatated procedure. BUT, does this document i.e., IRB approval , always contains the names of all contributing authors ??? I think, only the PI name is included , at least, at our REC. Why not to include the names of all the research team  members in the IRB approval letter together with clearly defined roles for each one, so that no other coauthors could be added on the published paper. However, sometimes, the PI finds it necessary to include more persons in the research during its actual conduction , So is it obligatory to obtain an IRB approval for adding those coauthors after clarifying their necessary roles???

             If this is applicable, I think this will minimize the occurrence of such a common problem that Dr. Salah addressed.

             But, if the problem had already happened, how can we prove that this is a false coauthorship ?? Can we ask the PI ( from the country where the research was conducted)to send us a letter stating that this person has contributed to the research and his exact role in it.???
             What if the PI sent this letter although he knows that this person has never contributed to the research ??/
             Waiting for your thoughts and great thanks to Prof. Salah...

             Nadia Zaki
[...]

      • Dr.Nahed Mohamed Moustafa
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2009

          Dear Prof Salah and all colleagues;

          Thanks for raising this important and sensitive issue. Please read the attached document in which I write the summary of ethics of authorship. You will find also the source for further reading.

          Concerning Dr. Nadia's comment:

          According to WHO guidelines, the PI should introduce his CV and that of Co-authors to REC. Consequently all the authors will be known. This issue is very important since it is a part of risk management (qualified investigators)

          My suggestion:

          We could add a session of responsible conduct of research especially that is related to authorship in our upcoming training programs. I did the same in my last training activities in the form of a case study (a real one)

          Best regards,

          Nahed Moustafa

          Nahed Moustafa, MD, CT
          Head of Forensic Medicine& Clinical Toxicology,
          Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Egypt
          Vice Chair of REC
          International Certified Trainer & HRD Consultant:
          Certified Trainer of Research Ethics, Maryland U, USA

          Message 4 of 4 , May 12, 2009
            Dear Dr. Nahed,,

            Thanks a lot for your valuable comments and as- usual- supporting documents.

            Best regards,,

            Nadia Zaki