Irish Branch Questions Legality of Detention

  • M A Nerd
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012
      *NEWS FROM THE CELTIC LEAGUE*

      * *

      *Irish Branch Questions Legality of Detention *

      The Irish Branch of the Celtic League has written to the UK Secretary of
      State for Northern Ireland, Owen Patterson MP, to express the concerns of
      members on the continued incarceration of Marian Price McGlinchey by the
      British authorities in the north of Ireland.

      After her arrest in May 2011 Ms Price McGlinchey was firstly sent to Maghaberry
      Prison and then Hydebank Prison, but has not appeared in court or been
      convicted of any crime. The League is concerned by the legality of her
      continued detention. The full text of the letter sent can be found below.

      "Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

      Owen Patterson MP

      House of Commons

      London

      SW1A 0AA

      England

      Dear Mr Patterson,

      I am writing to you on behalf of the Celtic League. The Celtic League is
      an organisation that campaigns through peaceful means for the political,
      social, economic and cultural independence of the 6 Celtic Nations,
      Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Cornwall and Brittany. We have
      campaigned for many years on behalf of political prisoners. Unfortunately
      we had thought that there would be no need to campaign in Ireland any more,
      but it seems we have to campaign again.

      I wish to enquire as to the reason of the imprisonment of Ms Marian Price
      McGlinchey. On what grounds are you holding her? You claim to have revoked
      her license, we would like to know for what reason this was revoked and on
      what evidence. However we would like to point out that when she was
      released in 1980, it was not on license, but on a Royal Prerogative of
      Mercy. By what order do you detain Ms Price. If there is a crime, then
      produce the evidence and let her have her say in court, otherwise we would
      ask you to release her immediately. Her conditions in Maghaberry and now
      Hydebank Prison has been dire and has contributed to her ill health. She
      should be released in any case, but due to her ill health we would ask on
      compassionate grounds as well.

      Article 9 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "No one
      shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile" I would call on
      you now to go through the proper channels, i.e. the courts and produce
      evidence of wrongdoing on Marian Prices behalf or release her immediately. Can
      you explain to me how the Secretary of State can interfere with the
      judicial process?

      We look forward to your response.

      Yours Sincerely,"

      Celtic league members and supporters are being encouraged by the Branch to
      write to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and the Justice
      Minister to express their own concerns. Contact details can be found below.

      You can send a letter or email to Owen Patterson MP Secretary of State for
      Northern Ireland, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA, England or
      patersono@... or to David Ford MLA, Justice Minister, Room 221,
      Parliament Buildings, Ballymiscaw, Stormont, Belfast, BT4 3XX, Ireland or
      david.ford@...

      Related link here:

      For comment or clarification on this news item in the first instance
      contact:

      Rhisiart Tal-e-bot,
      General Secretary,
      Celtic League
      Tel: 0044 (0)1209 319912
      M: 0044 (0)7787318666
      gensec@...

      The General Secretary will determine the appropriate branch or General
      Council Officer to respond to your query.

      ISSUED BY THE CELTIC LEAGUE INFORMATION SERVICE

      29/04/12

      The Celtic League has branches in the six Celtic Countries. It works to
      promote cooperation between these countries and campaigns on a broad range
      of political, cultural and environmental matters. It highlights human
      rights abuse, monitors all military activity and focuses on socio-economic
      issues.