Derry blast footage shows near deaths

  • M A Nerd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18 9:10 PM
      Passers-by came within minutes of being killed when a 200lb car-bomb detonated at the Strand Road PSNI station in Londonderry earlier this month, CCTV footage has revealed.
      Wednesday, 18 August 2010

      A person walks past and two cars drive by just eight minutes before the blast in a dramatic video taken by a camera facing the station.

      It was posted online to YouTube by local businessman Donal Doherty, whose PR agency Converse Communications is situated on the Strand Road.

      The recording shows the moment the proxy device planted in a taxi explodes. A bright flash is seen, then burning debris is blown across the street as the car burns.

      Thousands of pounds worth of damage was caused in the area as the blast ripped through nearby shops on August 3.

      Police received a 45-minute telephone warning but the device went off 23 minutes later, while the area was still being evacuated.

      Kebab restaurant owner Logfi Jalloul told UTV he and his staff were lucky to be alive after they were moved from the premises only a couple of minutes before the explosion.

      "All the shop is gone," Mr Jalloul said, as he assessed the wreckage.

      "I can't even find a word to describe what's happened here. To be honest, I don't know what I will do. There's nothing left."

      Dissident republican grouping Óglaigh na hÉireann claimed responsibility for the bomb.

      A 53-year-old man was remanded in custody on Monday after denying a series of firearms offences in court in connection with the attack.

      Last Friday another man, aged 42, was also remanded in connection with the explosion after denying a string of charges.

      © UTV News