Commission upholds parade ruling
- The Parades Commission has decided to uphold its decision to place restrictions on a controversial loyalist band parade through a Co Antrim village.
Tuesday, 17 August 2010
The Ballymaconnelly Sons of Conquerors Flute Band had sought a review of the determination on the Rasharkin parade, which will take place on Friday.
The Parades Commission has banned the march from walking the return leg.
The parade will proceed only to the junction of Main Street and Bridge Street, the commission confirmed.
Representatives from the DUP and Sinn Fein met with commission members on Tuesday amid concerns of rising tensions in the village in the run-up to the event.
DUP MLA Mervyn Storey has described the Parades Commission's decision to uphold its determination as "regrettable."
"The commission was given an opportunity today to undo the injustice that they have done to the band," Mr Storey said.
"It's regrettable that even when logical and coherent arguments are put to the commission they cannot find a resolution."
Earlier on Tuesday, the DUP warned against a huge risk of public disorder.
But Sinn Féin North Antrim MLA Daithí McKay accused the DUP of "stirring up tension".
Mr McKay said the Parades Commission's latest decision would be given a "guarded welcome by nationalist residents in the village."
"This parade as it stands is still not acceptable in terms of those involved in it. However, it is welcome that the bands will not be marching past the residents twice."
Last year there was minor trouble at the parade when some missiles were thrown at marchers.
© UTV News