FW: Ham Radio operators wil be needed by Red Cross to assist in the disaster response.

  • rocket@schlesingers.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2011

      From: Fred Schlesinger (ARCsquared) [mailto:fred@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:57 PM
      To: rrc@...; pres@...; 'CrifasiRF'; 'John Demetrius'; 'Harvey Kline WS2Q'; 'Barry G. Cohen'; 'George Sabbi'
      Cc: 'ed.pavlick'; 'Charles Maltbie'; jhr888@...
      Subject: Ham Radio operators wil be needed by Red Cross to assist in the disaster response.

      All  From the weather forecast, it is apparent that the Red Cross will require ideally 6 radio operators to support disaster Assessment operations.

      Ideally, the operator should come with their own mobile radio and magnetic mount antenna although the chapter does own several radios configured for this purpose.

      We will probably be operating on either the Morris County OEM repeaters, 146.895 or 145.370

      Or perhaps the Ramapo Mountain’s 146.490 repeater

      Red Cross radios are pre-programmed with at least these frequencies  http://www.arcsquared.org/Documents/NEW%20MOBILE%20RADIO%20LABEL%20updated.xls

      And now to the most important question of when.  Disaster Assessment begins as the waters begin to recede and we can get into flooded areas.  I believe that the earliest that large scale operations would begin would be Sunday, although some DA will happen on Friday. And it will in all likelihood continue to next week.

      Basically you will be communicating information to someone in the chapter house at a computer who can then relay that information to the people who are making maps of the nature and location of the damage.  Until this is done, we are unable to help flood victims so this is a very important function.

      If you or anyone in your organization has availability this weekend or into next week, please contact me.

      Thanks.

      Fred Schlesinger

      WW2VEH

      President