Alert Status: Normal

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2011

      Essex County EmComm Leadership and Members:

      I have been receiving updates on the situation within the county.

      These updates are coming from several sources: NNJ SEC George Sabbi, EC EmComm Liaison Lucas DeLosh, and Fred Schlesinger of Red Cross ARC2, as well as others.

      Some parts of the county are already flooding. Although the situation is bad for those affected, if left to its own it would subside and the water would recede.  Unfortunately that may not happen.  The forecast is for more heavy rain this week.

      The Red Cross has extended cots to some of the municipalities for those already affected. They may be opening up shelters to cope with those displaced if the water continues to rise.

      I have also been made aware that there is radio equipment, of at least one of the county's municipal fire departments, that is being threatened by the rising water levels. There is no immediate problem. However there is enough concern to give us a heads up to the idea that we may needed to aid with radio communications if the situation degrades seriously.

      Currently SEC George Sabbi has the county in Normal alert mode, with the request that we stay aware of the impending situation. We will follow suit.  Now would be a good time to check your Go-Kits and batteries and get everything up to full charge.

      Remember: It's not If but When.