Too many EmComm posts? Don't unsubscribe please.

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
      All members:
      I just received an email from a concerned member.
      He would prefer not to find the number of emails in his inbox
      growing to large proportions. His complaint is understandable. This
      is common when logging on to forums please do not remove yourself
      from the forum for this reason. We need to keep in touch and
      continue to have that contact growing! There is a much more
      practical solution available. Please read the information below.
      It's easy enough for you to do yourself but if you'd like, let me
      know and I'll change your membership to one of the other options. If
      you choose the Special Notices, you should only receive EmComm
      activations or disaster alerts from me.

      You have these options for your message delivery for each group:
      • Individual Emails
      Messages are delivered one at a time to your email inbox. This is
      the best option if you want to keep up on the latest posts
      immediately. Email attachments, if included in a message and allowed
      by your moderator, will be sent directly to you.
      • Daily Digest
      Messages are delivered in batches of 25 or daily, whichever comes
      sooner. This is the best option if you want to receive fewer mail
      messages and don't need up-to-the minute posts in your inbox. Email
      attachments are not available in digests.
      • Only Special Announcements
      This means you will receive email messages only when the group
      moderator posts a "Special Announcement" message. This is a good
      option if you want to pass on day-to-day discussion for very busy
      groups but do want to receive important updates from the group
      moderator. Keep in mind that usage by each moderator will vary. (The
      moderator may choose to never use this feature, in which case you
      would never receive email messages, or may choose to use it
      frequently.)
      • No Mail / Web Only
      This option puts email message delivery on hold, for example while
      you are on vacation. If message archives are available, this option
      also permits you to read messages at the Yahoo! Groups web site.
      Note that message archive options are determined by each moderator,
      and that some groups have no web message archives.
      To set any of these options, go to My Groups and choose from the
      drop-down list of message delivery options for your group.
    • tankermobile@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
        Bob-
        I just saw your last email to the group.

        You asked if I ever joined forums.  Well, the answer is yes.  And do you know what messages I have seen more than any other?  Members asking how to "opt out"  and begging the moderator to remove them from the group.  Don't count on too many guys from our club having even moderate computer skills or accessibility.  Better to keep their activity "passive" by their having access to important messages right there in their inbox, than expecting them to do anything "active"

        I would think guys would want to know more than just activation or disaster activities.  I would.  I hope there is some middle ground here- but I seem to be losing confidence...

        Best regards,

        Al

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
          Al,
          I had decided to handle this "offline" but since you posted to the
          group, I'll answer you in kind. You are selling your club members
          short. You'll find many of them are forward thinking and willing to
          take on the challenge of pushing a few buttons. They are after all
          Hams and unafraid of technology aren't they? Unsubscribing is not
          the moderators choice, and is the members choice. There is no need
          to beg. There are alternatives to completely removing one's self
          from the group that have already been offered to you, and in
          addition could be done for you if needed. Your willingness to
          discuss this in the open is just what I had hoped to see on the
          forum. I had hoped however, to see discussion about Emergency
          Communications not the structure of the forum software. It seems
          counter productive to voluntarily join a discussion group only to
          complain about the nature of it. There are alternatives which would
          satisfy your needs. Please try them before you go. Either way it's
          your choice.

          Having said that... Is there anyone in Essex County (or elsewhere)
          with issues about Emergency Communications in (or relevant to) Essex
          County?