Be somebody!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2010

      EmComm Members:

      There is plenty of room for more leadership within the group. We have many established positions that have yet to be filled. There are many more ad hoc positions that may need to be established along the way. If you need clarification on what positions are available and what the duties are please ask. If you do not feel qualified to accept a position, think again. Your interest and performance would be the keys to doing an outstanding job. Remember this when you  consider accepting one of these tasks 1) the task is not currently being done, 2) you can learn the new skills required and 3) if it becomes too large a task we can find more people to work with you.

      To have the size group that will perform well on the county level, we still need to grow. The reason being, during a true disaster many of the members may be occupied with the needs of their own families. This is not only expected but commendable. You can not be expected to perform well when you are worried about your own needs or the well being of your loved ones. Those concerns must come first. That being the case the number of members available to respond to a disaster or emergency situation will be reduced. The larger the situation, the fewer the members available to respond.

      This is precisely why we need a substantial number of members. To sustain a larger organization we also need a larger pool of leaders. This means both assigned and potential leaders. We need one person in each established position to take command of the assigned task. We also need members to support the lead position. Members that have the skills and understanding of the leader's responsibilities, and that could (and would be willing to) take command if needed.

      If you have ever wondered, or have been asked, why bother volunteering time to help other people? This reason may not have occurred to you. I mentioned earlier that you may not be available because you and or your loved ones may be in need during a disaster. I can tell you from experience, it's a wonderful feeling, regardless of whether you are in need or tending to the needs of others, having the organization you have contributed to and helped build, respond to the situation. There will be many at the time thinking "Somebody should be doing some thing to help!" Be somebody!

      Bob Crifasi KC2RFC

      Essex County DEC