Newark-Haiti Communications Effort Awards

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2010

      Goood evening,

           The program this evening was a success in more ways than one.  A number of people and organizations who were instrumental in supporting the Haiti communications effort were recognized by the Northern New Jersey Section of the ARRL Hudson Division and by the Newark Amateur Radio Society.  The organizations who were a part of this effort included Northern New Jersey ARES, Essex County Emcomm, the NJIT Amateur Radio Club, the NJ Transit Amateur Radio Club and the Newark Amateur Radio Society.  Several individuals supported the effort by volunteering to serve as operators.  Those in attendance whose efforts were recognized were:

      KC2SEK  -  Matthew  (NJIT/Essex County Emcomm)
      KC2RFC  -  Bob          (ARRL/ARES/Essex County Emcomm)
      KB2OOJ  -  Frank
      KA2PVT  -  Eric           (NARS)
      KC2OVM - Greg         (NJIT)
      KB2ZSG  -  Carl         (NJ Transit)
      K2HAV  -  Adam         (NJIT)
      WW2I  -  Peter          (NJIT)
      KB3RWL - Sam          (NARS)
      N0TAZ  -  Leon          (NARS/Essex County Emcomm)

      Also present was Bill Bishop, representing the Newark Office of Emergency Management.

           Honorees who were not present will receive their certificates in the mail within the next week.  The silver lining in the cloud of the Haiti disaster is that the Amateur Radio community in and around Newark - - both organizations and individuals - - came together to provide an essential service and, more basically, we did something that Newark's Amateur Radio community has not done for decades:  Meet one another!

           We will send out notices advising when NARS will be meeting.  We hope that many of you will join and become a part of what has quickly become a vibrant Amateur Radio organization.  We hope that each of the organizations will keep us all abreast of their meetings and other activities so that we may support them.  Most of all, I ask that we all support Essex County Emcomm through participation and in any other ways that may be needed.  Please keep in mind that Frank, KB2OOJ, and Bob, KC2RFC, are both involved with separate projects for providing Amateur Radio communications into and out of Haiti for what we all know will be a very long recovery period.  Please provide whatever assistance you can, whether in the form of operating, donating equipment or making a financial contribution.  More information on these efforts will be sent to the list as it becomes available.

           Again, thank you for your work and support in this important project.

      LEON GRAUER - N0TAZ
      PRESIDENT AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
      NEWARK AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
      17 ACADEMY STREET