Newark - Haiti EmComm

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2010
      Greetings,

      We are making tremendous progress thanks to the concern and cooperation and those on this list. Bob (KC2RFC) and George (KC2GLG), thanks to your efforts, close to a dozen more operators have contacted us about volunteering. Manpower is NOT going to be one of our problems!

      Thanks to Peter (WW2I),who sacrificed time with his family to spend a few hours after work setting up an antenna and being sure that the HF station was operating properly. Since there are some issues, he and Matt (KC2SEK), will be working tomorrow to put up additional antennas and to do whatever else is necessary to ensure that we have a good and reliable station.

      Please continue monitoring the IRESC net on EchoLink node 278173, or on one of the IRESC "Listen-Only" nodes. Also, for those in Northern New Jersey, you can monitor or participate in the IRESC net through the Cirri Memorial Repeater, KC2JES, 441.250 MHz, + offset, PL 127.3. There is also an informal net and periodic simulcasting of the IRESC and SATERN nets on CQ100 at 14.265.

      We will begin putting a schedule together as soon as there are more amateur stations operating in Haiti. For now, we are doing the necessary technical and community work to make this an effective operation. Currently, there are few operators and they are on the air only sporadically. But there is hope!! See the exceprt from Frank's e-mail below.

      Please keep in touch throughout the weekend. You guys are the vital link to making this work. The combined resources and efforts of Paul (N9RSQ), Frank (KB2OOJ), Peter (WW2I) and the rest of this group, has led to reliable information being shared and networks being set up to ensure that we are all well informed and that we have a well manned and properly operating station when needed. The importance of this teamwork cannot be overstated.

      Frank (KB2OOJ), has a repeater in Elizabeth, NJ, that is almost always connected to repeaters in Puerto Rico, as well as some other locations. These Puerto Rico repeaters can be a vital link to us here in Northern New Jersey with the people of Haiti. Frank sent an e-mail that contains some other useful information. You may want to make note of some of this information. It is posted below:

      Hello Leon, i just spoke with Eladio (HI3AW) on the Echolink Network who informed me that hopefully tomorrow morning a group of Dominican HAMs are going to fire up a repeater in "Lomas Las Petacas" (apprx 6,990 feet) in south-west of the Dominican Republic on frequency 146.970MHz (-) PL 100.0. Eladio informed me that HAMs in Port of Prince should be able to hit this repeater with walkie-talkies with just 4-5 watts. Lets hope that they can be able to get this repeater going tomorrow. I bet you that if they are able to get this repeater going, then you will see a dozen or more of Amateur Radio Operators from the Dominican Republic on Echolink over the weekend. Unfortunately, up until now we've only seen a handful connected on Echolink at any single time. Lets hope this changes because they are indeed in the best possible location to be able to provide us with one of the best gateways of communications to Haiti.
      Also, I heard Franco (YV5NSF) tell Eladio that there will be three Venezuelan rescue groups which many of them are also HAMs who will be arriving at Haiti this weekend and that they also expressed the need to operate any Amateur Repeater in the Dominican Republic which can provide them with coverage around the Port of Price immediate area. Eladio confirmed that this repeater which they will be attempting to fire up tomorrow should be able to provide service to that area.

      Last, this is the link o fthe most common stations that conenct with me from Puerto Rico and also from the imemdiate areas aroudn here. Hope this information can help out.

      KB2OOJ-R, 442.850 Eliz NJ New Jersey (CONFERENCE)
      KB2WSJ-L, 144.970 BETHLEHEM, PA
      KB3TQU-L ELIXANDER (N2ADF) IN CATASAUQUA, PA -144.965 - PL 88.
      WP4MMR-L MISAEL IN ISABELA ,P.R. - 146.550 t 100 SIMPLEX
      WP3MH-L MILTON IN SABANA GRANDE P.R. - 146.540 (NO PL)
      KH2RU-L JIMMY IN RIO GRANDE P.R. - 147.570 simplex 88.5
      KP4MCR-R 147.190 / 447.625 VHF / UHF HUMACAO P R.
      KP4LRC-L Cuqui 440.175, SAN SEBASTIAN P.R.
      KP4KJI-R 448.200 Ramon, SAN SEBASTIAN, P.R.
      WP3ZQ -R 448.075 & 145270 TOA BAJA P.R.
      WP3TM -R 447.270 TOA BAJA, P.R. - WP3TM -R 447.270
      WP4MG-L 145-600s. (24/7), HATO REY, P.R.
      KA3PNP-L – JAIME IN FAJARDO, PR FREQ. 145.650 simplex 127.3
      N3TX-L JOSE IN PHILADELPHIA. PA -146.475 SIMPLEX PL 110.9
      N3TX-R JOSE IN PHILADELPHIA. PA - 445.975 SIMPLEX JOSEITO
      WP3HO-L FERMIN, FREQ. 146.490 / PL 97.4 CORDILLERA /PONCE/JUANA DIAZ
      WP4OBT-L JAMES IN SALINA PR, FREQ. 146.400 PL 88.5

      LEON GRAUER - N0TAZ
      PRESIDENT AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
      NEWARK AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
      17 ACADEMY STREET
      SUITE 900
      NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102

      ESSEX COUNTY EMCOMM
      METRO/NEWARK UNIT COORDINATOR
    • NG3F
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2010
        Bob, is this the info about what the group was doing for Haiti?

        Chris Snyder, NG3F
        Executive Director
        National Registry of Certified EmComm Volunteers
        PH: 570-504-8738   Toll Free: 866-446-7969
        Fax: 570-561-2657
        Email: chris.snyder@...

        01/16/10 02:35:00