Re: [EC_EmComm] Inform our EmComm community

  • Mike Hartmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2010
      From: ARRL Web site [mailto:memberlist@www. arrl.org]
      Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:02 PM
      To: hklein@gmail. com
      Subject: ARLX002 IARU Region 2 Requests Frequencies Be Kept Clear After Massive Earthquake Strikes Haiti

      SB SPCL @ ARL $ARLX002
      ARLX002 IARU Region 2 Requests Frequencies Be Kept Clear After
      Massive Earthquake Strikes Haiti

      ZCZC AX02
      QST de W1AW
      Special Bulletin 2 ARLX002
      >From ARRL Headquarters
      Newington CT January 13, 2010
      To all radio amateurs

      SB SPCL ARL ARLX002
      ARLX002 IARU Region 2 Requests Frequencies Be Kept Clear After
      Massive Earthquake Strikes Haiti

      On Tuesday, January 12 at 4:53 PM Haiti time (2153 UTC), a magnitude
      7.0 earthquake hit 10 miles (15 kilometers) west of Port-au-Prince,
      the island nation's capital. Communications in and out of Haiti have
      been disrupted. No word has been received as of yet from any of
      Haitian Amateur Radio operators. The ARRL encourages US amateurs to
      be aware of the emergency operations on the following frequencies:
      7.045 and 3.720 MHz (IARU Region 2 nets), 14.265, 7.265 and 3.977
      MHz (SATERN nets), and 14.300 MHz (Intercontinental Assistance and
      Traffic Net). The International Radio Emergency Support Coalition
      (IRESC) is also active on EchoLink node 278173.

      IARU Region 2 Area C Emergency Coordinator, Arnie Coro, CO2KK, is
      coordinating a multi-national response by hams. There are organized
      nets on 7.045 and 3.720 MHz; amateurs are asked to monitor the
      frequencies, but to also keep them clear of non-essential traffic.
      Amateur Radio operators should also be aware that emergency traffic
      pertaining to the Haitian earthquake is expected on the SATERN
      frequencies of 14.265 MHz, 7.265 MHz and 3977 MHz, according to
      SATERN's leader, Major Pat McPherson. The Salvation Army is
      accepting health and welfare traffic requests on its Web site.

      "As late as 9:45 PM local time (0245 UTC), we have not been able to
      contact any amateur or emergency services stations in Haiti," Coro
      said in an e-mail. "Amateurs from Cuba, the Dominican Republic,
      Puerto Rico and Venezuela are monitoring the 40 meter band
      frequency. We are still keeping watch on 7.045 MHz, hoping that
      someone in Haiti may have access to a transceiver and at least a car
      battery to run it," but so far. no HH stations have checked in.

      Tuesday's quake was felt in the Dominican Republic, which shares the
      island of Hispaniola with Haiti, and in Eastern Cuba, but no major
      damage was reported in either place.

      The January 13 edition of The Daily DX reported that the Rev John
      Henault, HH6JH, made contact late Wednesday morning with the
      Intercontinental Assistance and Traffic Net (IATN) on 14.300 MHz;
      this is the IARU Global Center of Activity frequency for emergency
      communications. He said that he was safe, but had no power and no
      phone service. He was operating on battery power and hoping to get a
      generator running later in the day. The edition also noted that
      Pierre Petry, HH2/HB9AMO -- who was in Cap Haitien (about 140 km
      north of Port-au-Prince) is "okay"; Petry is in Haiti working for
      the United Nations World Food Program. Later today, he will be
      traveling to the capital.

      The UN's 9000 peacekeepers in Haiti -- many of whom are from Brazil
      -- were distracted from aid efforts by their own tragedy: Many spent
      the night hunting for survivors in the ruins of their headquarters.
      "It would appear that everyone who was in the building, including my
      friend Hedi Annabi, the United Nations' Secretary General's special
      envoy, and everyone with him and around him, are dead," French
      Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said Wednesday, speaking on French
      radio. UN peacekeeping chief Alain Le Roy would not confirm that
      Annabi was dead, but said he was among more than 100 people missing
      in the rubble of its headquarters. He said only about 10 people had
      been pulled out, many of them badly injured. Fewer than five bodies
      had been pulled from the rubble, he said.

      The United Nations said the capital's main airport was "fully
      operational" and that relief flights would begin on Wednesday,
      January 13.

      The situation in Haiti is still chaotic. More information will be
      posted as soon as possible. Information is being validated and
      shared between many amateur groups and news sources as it unfolds.
      NNNN
      /EX

      Bob wrote:

      EmComm Members:

      I have been receiving various pieces of information regarding the communications efforts related to the disaster in Haiti. I will pass it on here. Please do not hesitate to use this forum to inform our EmComm community and each other of anything you deem appropriate.

      Bob C. KC2RFC

      ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ==

      IAEM Discussion Group:
      Our local Ham Radio support group has posted the information below in regard to the Haiti earthquake:

      FYI -

      SATERN HF nets are now active in response to the earthquake in Haiti. Please give these frequencies a wide berth.

      14.235 MHz (Daytime Primary)
      7269 kHz (Evening Primary)
      3977.7 kHz (Night Primary)

      Additional:

      The Maritime Mobile Service Net is also active on 14.300 with some earthquake traffic.

      For those who want to listen there are state-side HF stations that are streaming the audio on the internet - http://14300. net/avlinks. html

      Kent

      C. Kent McKenzie, CEM(r)
      Emergency Management Coordinator