Re: [EC_EmComm] I have a ?

  • ldelosh@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
      The answer is no single radio.

      We as hams strive to be prepared constantly- but how many of us have backup antennas, radios, batteries, etc. In our go-kits?

      Truthfully, in my opinion, I would choose a portable radio with these features:

      1. Multiband capability.
      2. 100 percent field programmable
      3. Weatherproof or Water resistant at a minimum.

      For a more extended operation, a mobile radio with battery connections and solar or other alternative charging is ideal.

      Just my 2 cents.

      Lucas, KC2KZK.

      This message was sent from my BlackBerry. Please excuse any misspelling or brevity in the message.

      From: "kc2sou" <ronster440@...>
      Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:33:39 -0000
      To: <EC_EmComm@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [EC_EmComm] I have a ?

      So how is everybody doin...

      Maybe we should start a convo.

      What is the best radio for ECOMM..... and why you think so

      any takers...
      Ron Boucher kc2sou

    • Cody

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
          Not to put too fine a point on it, the Yeasu FT-897 is THE EmComm radio. :) I have two stations set up using that radio as a base. One at home and one at that other controversial place, my office (shhh). Both have a car jump start battery as backup power on trickle charge. Both using the Arrow dual band UHF/VHF J-pole antenna. I do need to do some work on getting the internal batteries squared away. I keep a charged HT with me at all times with two back up batteries and a Double A cell pack. There's more but that is enough to peg me as a radio Geek without going any further.

          Bob KC2RFC

        • kc2aup@arrl.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
            Sorry, I am a Kenwood man all the way.  I had a choice of radios at one point in time, but I decided to with the best.....
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
              We forgive you.

              Sorry, I am a Kenwood man all the way.  I had a choice of radios at one point in time, but I decided to with the best.....
            • kc2sou
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                So Kenwood man,
                can you tell me the model # of the kenwood rig that has HF,VHF,UHF
                and can fit in-- lets say a shoe box.... looking for your answer...
                HIHI.... ron b E.C.R.O.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                  Newer or older..

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
                    New or older( i think he's stalling) AHHH any in the last ten years..... HIHI..