I have a ?

  • kc2sou
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
      So how is everybody doin...

      Maybe we should start a convo.

      What is the best radio for ECOMM..... and why you think so

      any takers...
      Ron Boucher kc2sou
    • w2dds@aol.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 18, 2009
          The answer is no single radio.

          We as hams strive to be prepared constantly- but how many of us have backup antennas, radios, batteries, etc. In our go-kits?

          Truthfully, in my opinion, I would choose a portable radio with these features:

          1. Multiband capability.
          2. 100 percent field programmable
          3. Weatherproof or Water resistant at a minimum.

          For a more extended operation, a mobile radio with battery connections and solar or other alternative charging is ideal.

          Just my 2 cents.

          Lucas, KC2KZK.

          This message was sent from my BlackBerry. Please excuse any misspelling or brevity in the message.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
              Not to put too fine a point on it, the Yeasu FT-897 is THE EmComm radio. :) I have two stations set up using that radio as a base. One at home and one at that other controversial place, my office (shhh). Both have a car jump start battery as backup power on trickle charge. Both using the Arrow dual band UHF/VHF J-pole antenna. I do need to do some work on getting the internal batteries squared away. I keep a charged HT with me at all times with two back up batteries and a Double A cell pack. There's more but that is enough to peg me as a radio Geek without going any further.

              Bob KC2RFC

            • kc2aup@arrl.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
                Sorry, I am a Kenwood man all the way.  I had a choice of radios at one point in time, but I decided to with the best.....
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 19, 2009
                  We forgive you.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                    So Kenwood man,
                    can you tell me the model # of the kenwood rig that has HF,VHF,UHF
                    and can fit in-- lets say a shoe box.... looking for your answer...
                    HIHI.... ron b E.C.R.O.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2009
                      Newer or older..

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
                        New or older( i think he's stalling) AHHH any in the last ten years..... HIHI..