H1N1 Flu Chart...

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009

      H1N1 flu is about to be upon us and we need to be on top of information regarding it.

      Here is a comparison to the normal cold symptoms that was sent to me.

       Know the Difference between Cold and H1N1 Flu Symptoms

      Symptom

      Cold

      H1N1 Flu

      Fever

      Fever is rare with a cold.

      Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 100°F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the flu.

      Coughing

      A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold.

      A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

      Aches

      Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.

      Severe aches and pains are common with the flu.

      Stuffy Nose

      Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.

      Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the flu.

      Chills

      Chills are uncommon with a cold.

      60% of people who have the flu experience chills.

      Tiredness

      Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.

      Tiredness is moderate to severe with the flu.

      Sneezing

      Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.

      Sneezing is not common with the flu.

      Sudden Symptoms

      Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.

      The flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

      Headache

      A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.

      A headache is very common with the flu, present in 80% of flu cases.

      Sore Throat

      Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.

      Sore throat is not commonly present with the flu.

      Chest Discomfort

      Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.

      Chest discomfort is often severe with the flu.