Newark Airport Drill Report - Saturday 09/12/09

  • kc2rfc
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2009

      Newark Airport Drill Report - Saturday 09/12/09

      The drill ran quickly and efficiently and ended sooner than we expected.

      Our original plans were to communicate with various units from the Airport site:

      UMDNJ EOC

      Red Cross Metro Head Quarters in Fairfield

      Red Cross activities on the Airport site at the Family Assistance Center

      Saint Barnabas Hospital

      Essex County RACES site at South Mountain Arena

      We were also invited on site, the day of the drill, to:

      Shadow several key players in the drill

      Operate the Ham radio equipment on the UMDNJ Command Vehicle

      Due to the unexpected brevity of the drill our task list changed:

      Expedient set up and tear down of the field radio transmitter station was accomplished

      Several repeaters were exercised and checked for practical communications from the Airport tarmac

      Several simplex frequencies were similarly tested.

      Spot checks with mobile units

      Spot checks with base units

      In summary:

      Several of our specific goals were not met but that did not detract from the fact that the drill was well run and very successful for us on other levels. Our general goals were accomplished.

      The drill itself was the mitigation of a terrorist threat on a commercial airliner. FBI and PA (Port Authority) officials negotiated with the terrorists.  A strike force in full battle gear stormed the commercial airliner. The simulated threat was stopped and the perpetrators taken into custody. The victims were removed from the aircraft. They were expeditiously triaged and transported by UMDNJ EMS and PA other medical support teams. The victims were live participants complete with very convincingly simulated wounds.

      EC EmComm Participants

      On the tarmac:

      Jim Mesterhazy KC2SKK

      Mark Curcio                KC2OWQ

      Leon Grauer                 N0TAZ

      Remote:

      Ron Boucher                KC2SOU

      Ray Linke                     K2DEE

      I have been in touch with Newark Airport Officials in regard to the drill. In our discussions I was specifically told that Essex County Emergency Communications would be contacted and invited back for next year's drill. This in addition to the practical tasks that were accomplished made for a very worth while event for us.