'The most dangerous two miles in America'

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2009

      Essex County Amateur Radio Operators:

      Last week I was talking to a fellow ham operator. I was trying to impress upon him the need for a well organized, properly trained communications team, particularly in Essex County . This was his response: "I understand you feel there is a real need for the group you have been trying to put together. I just think you are becoming an alarmist. This is the suburbs, there is nothing in this area that would attract much attention or cause a large disaster!"

      Read below:

      Anderson Cooper Blog 3600

      Tuesday, August 15, 2006

      Drive up and down the New Jersey Turnpike, and it's easy to see why this state is a potential playground for terrorists. There is a two mile stretch from Newark Airport to Port Elizabeth that terrorism experts have dubbed, "The most dangerous two miles in America ."

      "It's the consequence that frankly scares the pants off of us, when you think about what might happen in such a congested area," says New Jersey Homeland Security Director Richard Canas.

      New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the country. And on this particular swath of land there are hundreds of potential terrorist targets -- chemical plants, rail yard, rail lines, refineries, an international airport, and the third largest port in the country, Port Elizabeth .

      If a terrorist were to strike one of the many chlorine gas plants here, how much damage could he do?

      Care to guess which county contains those two miles? Enough said?

      Bob Crifasi   KC2RFC

      CrifasiRF@...