RE: [EC_EmComm] EmComm members as first responders and the ICS-100 online course

  • Lawrence Stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2005
      Message
      I have enrolled in the course.

      73,

      KA2HJH
      Larry
      -----Original Message-----
      From: EC_EmComm@yahoogroups.com [mailto:EC_EmComm@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Crifasi
      Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 10:23 AM
      To: EC_EmComm@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [EC_EmComm] EmComm members as first responders and the ICS-100 online course

      I am suggesting that each member of EmComm (ARES and RACES) take the
      ICS-100 course on-line.
      This course is intended for all first responders. Your first
      reaction to this maybe "but we are Hams not first responders". On
      the surface that is correct and we should never assume we can or
      should take the same level of authority as police of firemen.
      However many of you may also be CERT, Red Cross or members of
      similar organizations. Even as members of ARES and certainly members
      of RACES (an extension of OEM) you will be working in close
      association with those that are considered formal first responders.
      In this capacity you will find you will qualify as a first responder
      under the broader use of the term as defined below. This course is
      an opportunity to learn the terms and concepts in use during a
      disaster. These concepts are used from daily emergencies through
      full disasters.

      Now is the time to begin not when a disaster occurs.

            http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS
      The URL address above will take you there. Cut and paste it directly
      into the address field of your browser. If you need help try the
      resources offered on the web site first, but please let me know if I
      you need further assistance.

      From the National Incident Management System page of the NJ NIMS web
      site:
      http://nims.nj.gov/factsheet.html#defsfirstresponder

      Definitions of First Responder
      The definitions of "First Responder" in HSPD-8 and the Homeland
      Security Act are much broader than fire, emergency medical, law
      enforcement and emergency management:
      The term "first responder" refers to those individuals who in the
      early stages of an incident are responsible for the protection and
      preservation of life, property, evidence, and the environment,
      including emergency response providers as defined in section 2 of
      the Homeland Security Act of 2002 (6 U.S.C. 101), as well as
      emergency management, public health, clinical care, public works,
      and other skilled support personnel (such as equipment operators)
      that provide immediate support services during prevention, response,
      and recovery operations. (HSPD-8)
      6) The term "emergency response providers" includes Federal, State,
      and local emergency public safety, law enforcement, emergency
      response, emergency medical (including hospital emergency
      facilities), and related personnel, agencies, and authorities.
      (Homeland Security Act - 6 U.S.C. 101)