Invitation from West Orange CERT to participate in a Wilderness Search Exercise, June 22nd

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2013
      On June 22nd starting around 8am the West Orange CERT team will be doing a Wilderness Search Exercise in the South Mountain Reservation.  We will be running several scenarios for lost and injured hikers.  I am the Deputy Director of the West Orange CERT team and I want to extend an invitation to any HAM operators who are interested in participating.  I know it's the morning that Field Day starts, but I think if you could spare 1-2 hours both sides could get a lot out of it.

      The objectives I'd like to see HAM operators achieve are:
      1. Provide communications from the search command post to the town EOC
      2. Shadow CERT members on their search to provide simplex communications with the command post
      3. I saved the best for last, use direction finding equipment to locate an FRS radio user lost in the woods.
      I think the #3 could be very cool to attempt on the HAM side, and even the CERT members were excited at the idea that HAMs could help by doing something like that.  As Bob said to me it's basically a fox hunt and I know the town would love to know that we have that capability available to us in CERT by way of the members of this group.

      So I am reaching out for available HAM operators, probably about 4-6 people, and in particular anyone who has direction finding gear, or any experience working with such equipment.  I know it might be a tough squeeze with Field Day but I think we could get people out of there by 10 or 11am and if you need to leave at a given time, then we will accommodate you.

      If you can forward this request to any clubs or other radio groups you are involved with I would appreciate it.  EmComm or similar experience is a plus but not a requirement.

      If people are interested they can contact me at mdragon@..., 908-303-3890, or on WA2JSB West Orange: 146.415

      Thanks,
      Matt Dragon, KD2ARL
      Central Unit EC, Essex County EmComm