WOMEN'S DIVISION IWA-MS OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

  • Mike Warren
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2004
      IWA MID-SOUTH WOMEN'S WRESTLING DIVISION

      The Independent Wrestling Association Mid-South, based
      in Louisville, KY, has promoted live professional
      wrestling events for almost eight years around the
      Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois region. During
      the past year, the promotion has put its focus on live
      events throughout the state of Indiana, with its
      bigger cards held just outside of Chicago in Highland,
      IN. IWA-MS promoted 53 live events during 2003, and
      looks to top that during 2004.

      The company made a decision during late 2003 to
      institute a full scale women's division, with the goal
      of giving talented female wrestlers the chance to
      compete on the same level as the men, at a time when
      women's wrestling in the United States isn't being
      showcased by many organizations. An array of different
      athletes from around North America passed through
      IWA-MS locker rooms during the past eleven months,
      highlighted by a one night single elimination
      tournament to crown the first IWA-MS/NWA Midwest
      Women's Champion on May 30th in Hammond, IN.

      The IWA-MS women's roster thus far has been mainly
      built around wrestlers such as: current IWA-MS/NWA
      Midwest Women's Champion Lacey (Minnesota), Daizee
      Haze (Missouri), Mickie Knuckles (Kentucky), Rain
      (Minnesota), MsChif (Missouri), Tracy Brooks (Canada),
      Mercedes Martinez (Connecticut), Sumie Sakai (Japan),
      Lexie Fyfe (Florida), and Allison Danger
      (Pennsylvania). IWA-MS has also featured Becky Bayless
      (New York), Angel Williams (Canada), and ODB
      (Tennessee) on cards in recent months. The women of
      IWA-MS not only have one another to learn from by
      wrestling on our events, but also a vast array of
      experienced male wrestlers who appear on our shows.
      Notably, Jerry Lynn has acted as an agent and mentor
      to our women during 2004, helping them grow as
      performers and get the very best out of their efforts
      on any given night.

      Based on fan support, and the overwhelming positive
      feedback that has been given to the surge in women's
      matches in IWA-MS, the promotion has decided to (in
      addition to booking women's matches on a regular basis
      on each of the regular IWA-MS shows on the schedule)
      begin to run all women events. The first IWA Mid-South
      Women's Wrestling card (since the title tournament
      show in May did technically feature two men's matches)
      will take place during the month of October, in
      northern Indiana.

      IWA-MS professionally films and distributes each of
      its live events on VHS and DVD via Smart Mark Video
      (http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/), which gives fans
      outside of the promotion's region the opportunity to
      follow the company without having to attend the events
      in person. A great deal of the promotion's revenue
      comes specifically from videotape sales, as over the
      years, IWA-MS has cultivated a strong worldwide
      following amongst tape collectors. This also gives the
      wrestlers a great opportunity to have their work
      viewed on a large scale, which few independent
      promotions today are able to provide for its talent.

      The management of IWA-MS has made women's wrestling a
      priority, and is determined to provide the most
      dedicated female athletes with a place to truly shine,
      and perform at as high of a level that they are
      capable of. As the second half of 2004 approaches, we
      would like to appeal to all serious woman wrestlers
      who would value the opportunity of sharing a locker
      room and learning through working with many of the
      other top women in our business. IWA-MS is pleased to
      have its current roster of talented women, and is only
      looking for its talent pool to grow during the coming
      months, as our women's division moves forward and
      continues to take shape. Though we already have plans
      to introduce several excellent wrestlers to our fans
      during the coming months, we are constantly on the
      lookout for new prospects.

      It is our goal to continue to import the best
      wrestlers available to us from this point forward,
      regardless of distance, to give the fans the best
      product we can, as well as our performers the best
      opponents we can. From hungry young wrestlers looking
      to improve, to experienced veterans who would like to
      pass along their knowledge to the newer crop of
      wrestlers, we seek a diverse and ever-changing roster.

      Women who are interested in being part of our team are
      encouraged to contact us for further information
      concerning our talent evaluation process. Simply send
      an introductory E-mail to dave_prazak@... and we
      will be in touch with necessary details.

      With many athletically gifted women currently
      competing in North America, it's about time that a
      promotion dropped all of the ridiculousness of
      lingerie matches, booking wrestlers based more on
      looks than ability, and placed the emphasis on the
      actual wrestling in its women's bouts. IWA Mid-South
      wants to give serious, eager woman wrestlers a place
      to call home and excel at their craft. We hope the
      wrestlers, as well as the fans, enjoy what we have in
      store!

      Sincerely,

      Ian Rotten, Chris Hero, and Dave Prazak
      Management - IWA Mid-South Wrestling