Preparing to Homeschool 5th and 8th grader

  • dustanton
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2011
      Hello everyone! My name is Ursula. I have two kids, 5th and 8th grades. They are attending a public Charter school at this time, but we will be home schooling them 9th through 12 the grades, perhaps sooner should they need it. We are looking at the Nevada Connections and Nevada Virtual Academies for programming and admin solutions - keeping track of coursework and grades, a formal transcript for college and those sorts of issues. I home school during the summers to keep things lively and interesting. The kids love to live their school, so hands on is a biggie in our lives. I am putting together a classics reading list as well as a botany series that we intend to go through this summer. Math is a challenge for both, so we will be doing Basic and pre-algebra workbooks. I sculpt in stone, so they will be banging away at rocks and painting with me this summer. Loads of fun stuff! I have been going it alone for 7 years, home schooling and programming summer learning. I am very excited to learn of other homeschoolers and to find this group! I look forward to sharing adventures with everyone!
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2011
        Hi Ursala,
        A couple of resources we've used in the past and really liked are RightStart mathematics and the Charlotte Mason method. CM is all about great literature and RightStart uses a lot of manipulatives and clear, short daily lessons. I have copies you're welcome to borrow if you'd like to take a look. We also have an entire videotext Algebra course (recommended by RightStart) which we may never use now that the girls are calling the shots.

        Anyone else have any recommendations? What are you all using/liking?

        Carolyn