HELP!

  • MaryJo King
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2010

      Dear Home School Parents:

      We just had a mom visit the library to get books for her 5th grade son in order to home school him. She is no longer able to get him to the bus stop and so is now forced to home school him.  (The bus will not come to their home.)  She is totally unprepared, and is willing to do her best, but since this is a new development for her, she is pretty frustrated, and not sure which way to take so that her son will get the education he needs.  They do not have access to the internet so cannot get help from that area.  Does anyone have fifth grade level books or resources they are no longer using and willing to share, and/or any ideas as to how the library can help her?

      Thanks for all of your support.

      Mary Jo King

    • jennetta
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2010
        --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "MaryJo King" <mking@...> wrote:

        > Dear Home School Parents:
        >

        > We just had a mom visit the library to get books for her 5th grade son
        > in order to home school him. She is no longer able to get him to the bus
        > stop and so is now forced to home school him. (The bus will not come to
        > their home.) She is totally unprepared, and is willing to do her best,
        > but since this is a new development for her, she is pretty frustrated,
        > and not sure which way to take so that her son will get the education he
        > needs. They do not have access to the internet so cannot get help from
        > that area. Does anyone have fifth grade level books or resources they
        > are no longer using and willing to share, and/or any ideas as to how the
        > library can help her?
        >

        > Thanks for all of your support.
        >

        > Mary Jo King

      • jennetta
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2010
          Hi Mary Jo,

          First of all she needs an idea, herself, of where she is going and how to do it.

          On the computers at the library, have her look up this site. Of course there are other wonderful sites as well. This has a great introduction to a new way to look at what "education" is and why it is worth doing the work to get a great one.

          http://www.tjed.org/

          These are some books I would recommend: (being a mom who has found Thomas Jefferson Education to be a great way for my family :))

          A Thomas Jefferson Education (DeMille)
          A Leadership Education (DeMille)
          Homeschool Genesis (Cathy Gileadi) One of the first books I read that
          got me really excited about homeschooling
          The Unschooling Handbook
          (There are lots more great homeschooling books of course)
          Help her to get hold of these with Interlibrary Loan (and consider having the library buy them!! These are truly great books.)

          Also, Carolyn and Dana had some excellent tips for new homeschoolers a couple weeks back.

          Perhaps she would like to come to our Christmas party so she can meet others who are excited about homeschooling.

          My $.02 :)
          Jennetta Billhimer

          P.S. I am hoping we will be able to come, Carolyn. If I can get my older boys to come too, we should have five (boys 17 and 15 and girls 6, 4, and 21 months.) I can bring a a plate of crachers, a homemade cheese ball, and olives.

          --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "MaryJo King" <mking@...> wrote:

          > Dear Home School Parents:
          >

          > We just had a mom visit the library to get books for her 5th grade son
          > in order to home school him. She is no longer able to get him to the bus
          > stop and so is now forced to home school him. (The bus will not come to
          > their home.) She is totally unprepared, and is willing to do her best,
          > but since this is a new development for her, she is pretty frustrated,
          > and not sure which way to take so that her son will get the education he
          > needs. They do not have access to the internet so cannot get help from
          > that area. Does anyone have fifth grade level books or resources they
          > are no longer using and willing to share, and/or any ideas as to how the
          > library can help her?
          >

          > Thanks for all of your support.
          >

          > Mary Jo King

        • MaryJo King
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 13, 2010

            Thank you so much for your help Jennetta!