Historically Accurate Thanksgiving links

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2010
      Hi Everyone,
      I decided to copy and paste the thread from the other yahoo group, AlwaysLearning. It's a good group for a lot of thought provoking ideas. So here it is. Sorry if it's a little messy.
      ~ Carolyn

      Re: [AlwaysLearning] Historically Accurate Books About Thanksgiving for Young Kids?

      -=-My 4.5 year old has expressed interest in learning about
      Thanksgiving and why we have a meal with friends that day. I explained
      it from my perspective and offered some info about the mainstream idea
      of Thanksgiving-=-
      Clarissa

      You could truthfully tell her that mythology has gotten mixed in with
      whatever the facts might have been, but that it has become a
      tradition, related to other harvest feasts, to gather with family or
      friends and have a feast--more food than people can eat.

      That's the difference between a meal and a feast, is the amount of
      leftovers. :-)

      Sandra

      I like Sandra's comments, especially for a 4.5 year old, to focus on the unversiality of the harvest celebration theme. But for older kids (who are
      inteterested), there are some more specific resources:

      Deconstructing the Myths of The First Thanksgiving:
      http://www.oyate.org/resources/longthanks.html

      Oyate has a list of Thanksgiving books as well (I haven't read any of them):
      http://www.oyate.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=69

      This may be interesting for you to read yourself and retell to your
      son.....scroll down to Chuck Larson's children's story, "The Plymouth
      Thanksgiving Story"
      http://www.manataka.org/page269.html

      "1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving":
      http://www.amazon.com/1621-New-Look-at-Thanksgiving/dp/0792270274