park day pictures / bookclub

  • Andy and Dana Dyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2010
    I finally got around to looking at our park day pictures; we had a good time--thanks, everyone!  April, I'm sorry I didn't get pictures of you and your angels.  (As an aside, if you wanna email me, April I can get you those videos.)

    About book club--I'm sorry for spacing the date and not letting you know earlier on that, Juliana.  Conference is Saturday and Sunday from (9-11 and 1-3...the boys 12 and older have a Saturday evening meeting at 5:00 also.)  As another aside, (I just love saying aside it's my new word, please ignore me) if anyone else wants to watch a session it's on BYU-TV, http://www.lds.org, and some radio station that is unknown to me (I'm so helpful!)  Whew, those long asides.  (See? I can. not. stop. myself.)  Is there any chance Friday would work for book club?  I will actually be gone, but Andy could bring Dan if it's later.  I think Allie wants to come too...not that either of them have read the book.  Sheesh.  Why am I even making waves, I totally have no right!  Again, you can ignore me...do what ya want people!!  :D

    -Dana (with a bag over her head)

  • monique heieie
    Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2010
      We never got around to reading that book, sorry Nikki. I know we want to but it never worked out. I like the ladder idea but maybe the kids could pick their books and every few months they can explain to everyone about it. What they liked, didn't like and general plot. Good? or no?
      Could we the kids still get together even if they haven't read the book?
      Monique

      Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2010
        Dana,
         Thank you for sharing your photos. Okay, now I need a new camera, your photos put mine to shame. You go girl! Do you know how to add the photos to our groups' photo section. I'd love to have them included in the Marina Park Day album. If you want to add them, just go to the photo section on our group page, click on the Marina Park Day album, then add photos.
        Let's see who chimes in about Book Club first, but Friday evening would work for us as long as we are all healthy by then. I know I will be. :) I'm healing. Dan can borrow Tyler's book then and the boys can email or talk about it later. Maybe the kids can read the Mark Twain book Dan was talking to Tyler about, over the holidays. Just an idea. I have noticed that if they talk about a book they liked, the others want to give it a read too. Hey, maybe that is how we should change Book Club. Then they can talk about any books they have read when they get together every 4-6 weeks.
        Juliana

[...]

      • Juliana Ahrens
        Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2010
          Monique,
          I like your idea about Book Club. Thank you for sharing. I think changing it to a Literacy Ladder will allow all ages to particpate at their reading level, so it would be good for everyone. Yes, we can get the kids together even though they haven't read the book. Nikki and Tyler can tell everyone about the book and they can decide if they would like to read it over the holidays also. How does Friday evening work for your family for Book Club?
          Juliana

          Message 5 of 7 , Sep 27, 2010
            Hi Friends,

            I know Nikki and Claire are reading, actually listening to, the Runemarks book and are looking forward to the meeting. I don't think it matters to them if everyone has read the book as long as those who haven't read it allow the others some time for discussion. I really like the gatherings we've been having. I think it's a really great group of kids and they have a lot to offer each other.

            I am very grateful to Juliana for being the organizer here!!!

            As for the future of the book group, I'd like to see the kids take some ownership of the group and decide for themselves how often they'd like to meet and what they'd like to read. I understand that we, as parents, have the ultimate say when it comes to the calendar, but I really feel this group can make a lot of their own decisions if we support them to do it. Perhaps at the beginning or end of the next meeting we could join them and get them to share their thoughts with us. Our older ones especially are capable of planning things and it will benefit the younger ones to watch how they do it.

            As for archery, we would be happy to have the archers come here any week that Juliana does not wish to host. We're very fortunate to have the property we do and we absolutely love to share it. When we first bought this place I knew it was a kid's paradise, so if Juliana will let me know which Saturday she wants to host, I will sign up for the rest. I will be sure to give a one-week notice if we have other plans for any given Saturday. I am also still trying to get my friend David to join the kids and give some archery pointers. Perhaps one of these Saturdays we could have a pot luck picnic here after the kids get done shooting.

            I'm not sure what a Literacy Ladder is, but I have always tried to stay away from giving arbitrary rewards for reading. The content of the book should be reward enough, so as long as they are reading good literature and not "twaddle". However, I will admit that when someone handed us coupons for Papa Murphy pizzas where the kids had to check off that they'd read 10 books (or something like that) we played the game and enjoyed the pizzas.

            I agree that we might need to address the different age groups in the book club. I know Claire really wants to be involved in the book group but isn't always interested in reading the same stuff as the older kids. One idea is to have a couple of books each month instead of just one; perhaps one "younger" book and one more complex. The older kids could read both books and the younger ones could pick one or the other. That way everyone could be involved in at least part of the discussion. Again, I think we'd need to let the kids decide.

            Friday, October 1, works for us. I love your idea of making pizzas. Is there anything we can contribute? I might still have some organic pepperoni we could bring, and I'd be happy to slice up a bunch of black olives. Should we plan on everyone bringing a couple of toppings?

            My sister and her 2 kids will be visiting on the weekend of the 9th, so I will have to talk to Nikki and Claire and see how they want to handle that. It might be that they would like to host archery here that weekend, or plan on bringing Ted (age 10?) along with them. Ted is more into shooting guns and may wish to bow out anyway(no pun intended). Jules, are you flexible with your Saturdays?

            I have put the other dates on my calendar (Park Day, 22nd and Halloween prep and party, 16th and 30th respectively) and will plan on being there if at all possible. We will begin making trips to the mountains to get firewood soon, but I will try to schedule around these dates.

            Again, many thanks to Juliana for her planning and organizing, and to Dana for all her asides ;) . See you all soon!
            Carolyn

            Do what you love, love what you do!

            --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, monique heieie <nvheehee6@...> wrote:

            > We never got around to reading that book, sorry Nikki. I know we want to but it
            > never worked out. I like the ladder idea but maybe the kids could pick their
            > books and every few months they can explain to everyone about it. What they
            > liked, didn't like and general plot. Good? or no?
            > Could we the kids still get together even if they haven't read the book?
            > Monique

          • Juliana Ahrens
            Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
              Carolyn, if you would like to host Archery on the 9th that is okay with me, just let me know what you would like to do. I am only planning on doing Archery the second Saturday each month until it snows, so if you want to schedule more times at your place you are welcome to do so.

              As for Book Club, it looks like Friday will work for everyone. Would 4-5:30pm work for everyone? Additionally, I think we should come up with a Plan B in case we are not healthy enough here by Friday. While Dustin is better; Rachel, Hannah, and I are almost there, but Tyler has a major sinus infection still, so I might not be able to host. I am hoping everyone will be better by Thursday(I will let everyone know by Thursday morning whether we are healthy enough to host), but they might not be and I would hate to have the group get sick from us. You are welcome to help donate supplies for the pizzas, looking at the numbers, it looks like I will need to pick up more supplies for a third pizza.

              Anyway, let me know what you guys would like to do.

              Juliana