Re: The Reggio Emilia Approach

  • evenstarbella
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
      This is one I want to research more. I think it might be a good fit for us, but I've had trouble finding information on it. It doesn't seem as wide-spread in the US as other ideas, like Montessori and Waldorf. I wish they had some books on it in our library. I only know of one blog about it: http://www.whiteoakschool.com/ - although these days she mostly posts on education politics (really great blog for homeschoolers, not just those interested in reggio).

      It is my understanding that one emphasis is the idea of "100 languages." Every child expresses himself differently, and there are at least 100 different ways, like painting, drawing, sculpture or writing. In the early years children are exposed to a lot of different methods of expression so they can develop the skills they need to use the methods of their choice to express themselves.

      Another focus of the method is project-based study. The students use their "languages" to produce projects in things they are interested in, and through the process they end up learning/practicing things like math, language, science and history. The difference between this and unit study is that it is a child-led approach - kind of a unit study unschooling.
    • Juliana Ahrens
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
        Thank you so much for sharing, especially the blog. I am going to check it out, later this morning. My Hannah has always expressed herself through drawing, so it is always something she is free to do. I have been steering her learning toward the Arts because of this.

        Juliana