OT ~ Pesticides on Produce Tied to ADHD in Children

    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2010
      Pesticides on Produce Tied to ADHD in Children

      Pesticides on Produce Tied to ADHD in Children
      By Amanda Gardner
      HealthDay Reporter

      MONDAY, May 17 (HealthDay News) -- New research suggests that exposure
      high levels of organophosphate pesticides, commonly found on berries,
      and other produce, could raise the odds for
      disorder (ADHD) in children.

      At this point, though, there is no evidence that pesticide exposure can
      actually cause ADHD, stated the authors of a paper appearing in the June
      issue of Pediatrics.

      Certainly parents and children shouldn't swear off fruits and veggies,
      study lead author Maryse Bouchard, an adjunct researcher in the
      of environmental and occupational health at the University of Montreal
      at Sainte-Justine University Hospital Centre. However, "I think it's
      safe to
      say that we should as much as possible reduce our exposure to
      she said.

      That would meaning going organic, buying at farmers' markets and washing
      fruits and vegetables thoroughly before consuming them, she said.

      "I always encourage my families to embrace healthy lifestyles in
      agreed Dr. Nakia Scott, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry and
      behavioral science at Texas A&M Health Science Center College of
      and a child psychiatrist with Lone Star Circle of Care. "I think it's
      more important that they're eating fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains
      instead of sodas and fast foods and I'm not saying that they're not
      going to
      eat any produce because it might contain pesticides."

      Previous research has shown an association between both prenatal and
      postnatal organophosphate exposure and developmental problems in young

      But most prior studies have focused on excessive rather than average
      exposure to organophosphates.

      "Organophosphates are one of the most widely used pesticides in
      to protect crops and fruits and vegetables," Bouchard noted. "For
      the major source of exposure would be the diet -- fruits and vegetables

      In their study, Bouchard and her colleagues analyzed data on pesticide
      exposure and ADHD in more than 1,100 American children aged 8 to 15.

      Children with higher pesticide levels in their urine were more likely to
      have ADHD, the team found.

      "The analysis showed that the higher the level of exposure [as measured
      metabolites in the urine], the higher the odds of having ADHD," Bouchard

      Just how might pesticides harm brain development? According to the
      high doses of organophosphates may inhibit acetylcholinesterase, a
      system enzyme. Lower doses of the pesticide may affect different growth
      factors and neurotransmitters.

      The findings, if replicated, may provide another clue into the causes of
      ADHD, a condition which affects three to seven percent of school-aged
      children, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and

      "We do have a fair amount of evidence about other causes of ADHD," Scott
      said. "We know that ADHD is a highly heritable disorder. At least
      of fathers who have had ADHD in their youth have a child with ADHD."

      "There are also prenatal risks such as tobacco exposure and alcohol
      exposure," she added. "There's also a possibility that children who are
      exposed to high levels of lead prior to the age of six may develop

      More information

      There's more on shielding kids from pesticides at the U.S. Environmental
      Protection Agency.