Re: Looking to Assess your child's reading level?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2010
      --- In ECHO-NV@yahoogroups.com, "Juliana" <ahrensjuliana@...> wrote:

      > Do a google search for "The San Diego Quick Assessment", you'll get several results all pretty much the same. I hope this helps someone.
      >
      > Juliana

      Thanks Juliana,
      As I told you yesterday, we have never tested our girls. This might be fun, though I still tend to stay away from labels. For years we contemplated testing them in all subjects to see "how we were doing", but came to realize that we really are not interested in the criteria used by the education institution. Our kids are doing just fine and I'm not sure what good it would do us to know at what "grade level" they are reading. If they want to read, they can pick the book, and if it's too hard, they can decide to struggle through it, ask for help, or go pick another book. Telling them they are reading at a 4th grade level if they are old enough to be in 7th grade, might only serve to make them feel inadequate and put pressure on a parent to push reading, which would likely backfire and make reading less fun. That would be a real shame. We don't do grades, but they have friends in public schools so they kind of know what grade they would be in.

      I might test myself for fun, but can't see how testing my kids would help them in any way.

      Just offering another perspective,