2010 Cowboy Poetry Gathering

  • nevadafiddler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi Folks,
      Here's the scoop from Jan Peterson for us homeschoolers. Please contact her now to register for these events!

      Dear Educators:

      The 2010 National Cowboy Poetry Gathering's youth education programs are ready for reservations! This year we once again have an exciting selection of artists and events for you and your students to enjoy. Space is limited so please schedule your students as early as possible.

      To schedule your students to attend the Western Folklife Center's 2010 National Cowboy Poetry Gathering education programs, please contact Jan Petersen by phone at 775-778-5478 or 775-738-5668.

      Hundreds of poets, storytellers and musicians have walked across the stages during the last 25 years of the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. The occasion of the 26th anniversary of the Gathering gives us an opportunity to feature some of our favorite programs and artists for your students this year. We hope these programs will have special resonance with your students. Please feel free to call Devon Blunden at the Western Folklife Center at 775-738-7508 x236 or Jan Petersen at 775-778-5478 for more information.

      Programs offered for the 2010 National Cowboy Poetry Gathering include:

      Student Art Show

      The National Cowboy Poetry Gathering student art show features artwork from Elko County students, and will open Tuesday, January 19, 2010. In honor of our guests – Cracker cowboys from Florida and Creole cowboys from Louisiana – this year's suggested art theme is Workin' Dogs, although students are also encouraged to create artwork that illustrates cowboy poetry, the West and Elko County. Artwork will be on display from Tuesday, January 19, 2010 through Saturday, March 27. A reception will be held March 24, from 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm, for the artists, their parents, friends and the public. All grades are welcome to enter artwork; there is no cost for participation. Due to space limitations, a maximum of 25 pieces from each school will be accepted for exhibition. Please contact Jan Petersen at 775-778-5478 for more information about the Student Art Show.

      Western Folklife Center Youth Festival

      The Youth Festival will once again be held at the Western Folklife Center on Tuesday, January 19, Wednesday, January 20, and Thursday, January 21. This year's program will provide students with a range of activities that will educate them about ranch life and arts, tours of the Western Folklife Center exhibition Florida Cattle Ranching: Five Centuries of Tradition (see description below), leather stamping with Karla Chapin, and a special activity featuring a free cowboy scarf paired with a glass of sarsaparilla. The event is appropriate for grades 3 through 5. Please contact Jan Petersen at 775-778-5478 to schedule your students' visit to the Western Folklife Center. This program costs $2 per student.

      Rural and Home School Program

      The Rural and Home School Program will be held on Wednesday, January 27, at the Flag View Intermediate School Auxiliary Gym stage from 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Rural and home-schooled students are invited to experience a performance featuring saloon pianist and multi-instrumentalist Dave Bourne and cowboy poet Janice Gilbertson. After the 45-minute concert, students will have the opportunity to meet the artists. The show is appropriate for all grades. To register your classes for this program please contact Jan Petersen at 775-778-5478. This program costs $2 per person (including students, parents and siblings), which can be paid at the door.

      Cow Kids Stampede

      The Cow Kids Stampede will be held at the Elko Convention Center Auditorium on Wednesday, January 27, with two 45-minute performances held at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. The program will feature Grammy award-winning musical artists Riders in the Sky, a band that serves up lively cowboy music and yodeling with a side of comedy. There will be a question and answer session following the 1:00 pm performance. The show is appropriate for students in all grades. To register your classes for this program please contact Jan Petersen at 775-778-5478. This program costs $2 per student.

      Young Buckaroo Poetry Session

      The Young Buckaroo Poetry Session is an open-mic opportunity for young people age 18 and under to share their creativity with our Gathering audience, and will be held from 9:00 am – 11:00 am, Saturday, January 30, at the Flag View Intermediate School Auxiliary Gym stage. Students are encouraged to perform original poetry, classic recitations and western music. This event is free to all participants and attendees. Session registration begins at 8:30 am on the day of performances; spaces fill quickly, so sign up early. Hosted by Deb Howard and Valerie Aguirre-Alt.

      National Cowboy Poetry Gathering Youth Workshops

      Our youth workshop series provides an opportunity for young people to work closely with master artists to learn some of the basics of a traditional art or skill. This year we have two workshops available:

      Basic Leather Tooling

      Saturday, January 30

      1:00 pm – 4:00 pm

      $25

      Learn the basics of leather tooling from a local saddlemaker. Students will learn how to handle tools and how to turn simple shapes into intricate designs. Kids will take home a leather concho or a key fob.

      Best for ages 10 – 18.

      Writing Workshop

      Saturday, January 30

      10:00 am – 12:00 pm

      $25

      Authors Terri Farley (The Phantom Stallion and Wild Horse Island series) and Suzanne Morgan Williams (Bull Rider) team up to inspire young writers with their images of the West. In this workshop, students in grades 5 through high school will develop characters and a plot line from western settings and will leave with a plan for their own story.

      To register for these workshops please contact the Western Folklife Center ticketing office at 775-738-7508. The registration fee for each workshop includes workshop supplies.

      To schedule your students to attend the Western Folklife Center's 2010 National Cowboy Poetry Gathering education programs, please contact Jan Petersen at 775-778-5478 or by e-mail at dcblunden@....

      Also, please note that it costs the Western Folklife Center between $8 - $12 a child to produce and host these programs. We are able to underwrite these programs and keep costs affordable to students and schools by seeking grants and donations from a variety of federal, state, business, foundation, and individual sources. We are grateful for your continued participation and for your willingness to work with the District, parent/teacher groups, parents and others to help finance your students' participation. Thank you!

      We hope your students will be able to participate and look forward to another season of good poetry and music and enlightening educational opportunities. We'll see you there!

      Sincerely,

      Tamara Kubacki & Jan Petersen

      Western Folklife Center

      We'd like to thank the following organizations and people for generously providing funds that keep these programs affordable for young people and help make them possible: Barrick Gold Strike Mines, Inc., Bretzlaff Foundation, Newmont Mining, Reno Rodeo Charitable Foundation, Nevada Arts Council, Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs, National Endowment for the Arts, Wrangler, many others business and organizations, and the many generous individual donors who have contributed funds to the Western Folklife Center's Stakeholder Program for Youth Education.

      Artist Biographies

      Dave Bourne is a multi-instrumentalist who has been playing music professionally since 1958. He played with the Wagonmasters at Knott's Berry Farm, with the Dawn of the Century Ragtime Orchestra and with his western singing group, The Lobo Rangers.  Dave appeared on the HBO series Deadwood, where he played piano in the Gem Saloon.  He has also recorded and released numerous solo albums featuring the saloon piano. www.saloonpiano.com

      Geno Delafose relies on his traditional Creole sensibility for guidance in music, and divides his time between touring and operating his Double D Ranch outside of Eunice, deep in Southwest Louisiana's bayou country, where he breeds cattle and raises quarter horses. Born into a family of Zydeco musicians, Geno picked up the rubboard at age seven and joined his father's band the Eunice Playboys, which he later led.  Geno plays various accordions with his band French Rockin' Boogie. www.genodelafose.net

      Richard Elloyan is a singer, songwriter, and poet of unique wit and imagination.  Raised in the historic mining town of Virginia City, Nevada, Richard grew up surrounded my the romantic stories and characters that shaped the growth of Nevada and California.  Using the backdrop of the high desert, Richard writes about the images and philosophies of the cowboy and those who are cowboys at heart.  He works and lives in the Sierras, surrounded by ranches and mountains.  His latest CD is Rodeo Bones.  www.richardelloyan.net

      Janice Gilbertson lives in the Salinas Valley of California, where she was born and raised.  Growing up on horseback in a ranching community, she started riding her own horse when she was four years old.  She is proud to be a volunteer member of the Monterey County Sheriff's Mounted Unit, which is a search and rescue team.  Janice considers writing to be a bit like therapy, and she uses her experiences as inspiration.  Her new book of poetry is Sometimes, in the Lucias.

      Riders in the Sky are preserving the traditional genre of western cowboy music, music that was kindled by such singing cowboys as Gene Autry and the Sons of the Pioneers.  They have incorporated into the genre their own personal style with a well-balanced mix of classic and original western songs that feature "smooth yodelin' harmony, hot licks and zany comedy." Since their beginning in 1977, the Riders have given over 5,000 performances, been awarded the Grammy for Best Musical Album for Children in 2001 and 2003, starred in their own Saturday morning Children's TV series on CBS, and made several other TV appearances.  Riders in the Sky are guitarist Ranger Doug, upright bassist Too Slim, fiddler and vocalist Woody Paul, and accordionist Joey, the Cowpolka King.  They are celebrating their 30th Anniversary.

      Doyle Rigdon is a sixth generation Floridian and a fifth generation Cracker cowboy or, as many Florida cowboys have long called themselves, a "cowhunter."  Growing up, the tales his grandfather and uncles told about cowhunting and breaking horses inspired him to keep up the tradition.  Doyle wrote his first poem at the age of 13, about how much better horses were than women, because they didn't give you any lip, and you could do more work with a horse, although by high school he found himself writing poems to woo women instead.  Doyle's poems express the excitement and frustrations of everyday life of the Florida cowboy and are often marked by side-splitting humor. He performs around Florida, dayworking on area ranches and breaking horses on the side.

      Dave Stamey learned to play the guitar at age 12.  He performs his share of classic cowboy songs, but he mainly focuses on his own more contemporary songs of the West and on the plight of the rancher trying to maintain a ranch in these modern times. He has been bucked off and stomped by many horses, stepped on by mules and dragged around branding pens by angry cattle of various sizes. Dave is now an entertainer and finds that he prefers it to being stomped on.  He's been awarded the Male Performer of the Year by the Western Music Association and is a three-time nominee for Songwriter of the Year.

      2010 Exhibit in the Wiegand Gallery

      The Western Folklife Center produces educational exhibitions based on original fieldwork with traditional artists. These exhibits are installed in the Wiegand Gallery at the Pioneer Hotel in Elko, and often travel to other sites around the West. Past exhibits have featured subjects such as Latino traditions of Christmas and cowboying, Native American arts and crafts, documentary photography, the legacy of cowboy poetry and music, the renaissance of contemporary handcrafted cowboy gear, and the history and contemporary life of the buckaroo of the Great Basin.

      During the 2010 National Cowboy Poetry Gathering, the Wiegand Gallery will feature:

      Florida Cattle Ranching: Five Centuries of Tradition

      Western Folklife Center, Elko and the Florida Folklife Program/Florida Department of State

      Major support for this exhibition is provided by the E.L. Wiegand Foundation

      The exhibition will tell the story of one of Florida's oldest and most important cultural and occupational activities. Cattle ranching in what is now the United States began when Spanish explorers introduced horses and cattle to Florida in the 16th century, and continues to contribute to the culture and economy of 21st century Florida. On loan to the Western Folklife Center from the Florida Folklife Program/Florida Department of State, the exhibition explores the continuity and change in Florida's unique ranching traditions and the cultural expression they have generated.

      The exhibition's grand opening in the Western Folklife Center Wiegand Gallery for members only will be Thursday, January 28 at 3:30 pm, with general admittance starting at 4:00 pm. However, the exhibit will be open during the Youth Festival and the Gathering.

    • nevadafiddler
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
        Jan Peterson asked me to re-post this as she needs to get your reservations now for the events you plan on attending!

        Carolyn